VOGONS

First post, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently assembled a 486 DOS gaming computer, and almost everything is now up and running. The only problem I'm now having is that I can't get any mouse to work with it. I'd initially tried using it with an old PS/2 mouse plugged into the COM1 port by way of a serial-to-PS/2 adapter. When this didn't work with any configuration, I tracked down a serial port mouse--this also didn't work. (The serial mouse works on an old laptop running Win95.) It occurred to me that the serial port on the case might not work, so I got a nice cheap little serial port bracket; again, no success.

I've tried using MOUSE.COM, MOUSE.EXE (from the laptop mentioned above), and CTMOUSE with various parameters set. MOUSE.EXE comes up with:

The mouse is not responding !

Check the mouse installation and then rerun the mouse driver.

If I run CTMOUSE with the /m parameter, it says "Installed at COM1 (03F8h/IRQ4) in Mouse Systems mode". This seems correct, since 03F8/IRQ4 are where the computer says the COM1 port is at bootup. In spite of this, the mouse is still unresponsive in all programs.

Any suggestions on what I ought to do next? I'd rather not have to buy a serial port adapter card if I don't need to, obviously, and I feel like I'm probably missing something simple.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Reply 2 of 4, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need to find the appropriate schematic to make a PS/2 to D-Sub 9 (Serial) adapter for a 486, and other systems since the adapter I had stopped working (it did work when I disconnect the mouse when the system was turned on, but, after re-opening a program, such as the DOS edit program, it won't move.

In fact, I have a PS/2 mouse that works with both Serial and PS/2 systems alike (with the flick of the switch underneath). Check to see if the PSU needs to be replaced as well (might be wrong on that).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4 of 4, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm facing that same roadblock with my VX97, i guess when the thrift store is open, after work, scrounge through the PC parts bins and buy many Serial brackets and try them out until one works.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS