VOGONS

First post, by the-beast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, does anyone know of a good place to get something like this (Ebay UK item # 251025150787) in the UK? The postage on this is more than the item and if you want more than one customs want their pound of flesh.

Thanks

P.S. I'm assuming this form is OK for this topic?

Edit: Ugh, removed ebay link since its against the rules. Sorry. Surly the forum software has a plug-in for sorting this sort of thing out automatically?

Last edited by the-beast on 2018-08-28, 20:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate to burst your bubble, but, posting an active eBay link isn't allowed. But, there might be other sites in the European Union region itself that might have that.

That reminds me: I'm planning on purchasing this in case the PSU in my Packard Bell goes kaput and one for my Socket 7 machine since that has the P8/P9 connections on there and the old rocker switch I still have.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 5, by the-beast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't worry its already burst trying to find a ATX to AT adapter (since I can not find a AT PSU (or an AT case for that matter)) that appears to be safe and won't cost too much. Anyway,m thanks for pointing that out. Still trying to orientate myself here.

Reply 3 of 5, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently found out that some older ATX PSUs (I'd say pre-2005) have a -5V rail. The 20-pin connector will have a white wire if that's the case.
All you need at that point is the cheapest ATX to AT adapter from eBay as it also includes the white wire (I bought one for a Socket 7 motherboard recently, works perfectly).
Of course, this is assuming you have such a PSU, but it shouldn't be a problem sourcing one locally (it's mostly the cheap old no-name brands no one wants).

Reply 5 of 5, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AT switches it actually off through the motherboard while ATX is a soft off that retains standby power.
There is an actual power switch on the back of many ATX power supplies, but it would still require some soldering on 115/230V rails to get that somehow to switch of ith the system.

For AT PSUs the issue is finding old units that still work without issues. For older ATX systems one can just buy modern units, decently sized if the 5V rail hs to be strong.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1