VOGONS

First post, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have writen several articles of 3dfx for the magazine RetroManiac and I would like to interview a collector o fans of 3dfx to complete the article (and maybe compiled them in a book). I have now the interview of Osckhar, NostalgicAslinger. and Kirsten G.

The interview will be several question about the past and future of this graphics, the collector, 3dfx in the web, 3dfx now... we can talk about the things that you want, here is the basic questions:
----
1.) Who are you (if you agree to tell)?

2.) Which year were you born in (if you agree to tell)?

3.) What was your first contact with 3dfx?

4.) What was the first 3dfx graphics card you got?

5.) Can you tell us what items you have in your collection at the moment?

6.) What is your favorite 3Dfx item?

7.) Are you looking for any items specifically at this time?

8.) Do you have any anecdote?
-----
9.) For how long do you think the 3dfx following will stay alive on the internet?

10.) How do you collect graphics cards?

11.) 3dfx was a company of graphics cards but... is was anything more? I see a strange aura when I read about it.

12.) Do you know more collectors of fans of 3dfx? Where are they from?
-----
13.) How would the world of 3D without 3dfx?

14.) In your opinion, what was the key of the success of 3dfx?

15.) Do you know Quantum3D or other spin-off of 3dfx?
--------------
16.) What do you think about Rampage, Fear or Mojo?

17.) What is your opinion about VSA-100?
----
18.) What In your opinion, what was the biggest mistakes of 3dfx?

19.) What do you think about STB and Gigapixel?
----
20.) We are done, if you want to say anything, now it is the moment.

You can add question and If you are interesting, reply me or send me a private message.

Thanks for all 😁 (and GrandAdmiralThrawn for the comments)

PS: The interview can be in English or Spanish.
PS2: I have tried to advise to the mods but I don't see the button of PM or feedback, sorry if the thread is not allowed 😒

Reply 1 of 23, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to @brostenen to reply me, but I can't reply you because I can't send PM. Write me to kaiser77 at gmail dot com and I send the second part of the interview and talk about 3dfx and Amiga.

More voluntaries? Don't be shy 😜. I am near to completed it.

Reply 3 of 23, by Obi Wan Kenobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heeey Martin! (kaiser77_1982) Good to see ya here too man!

it was fun helping you make this project, I still need to getmyself a copy of your work 😦 DM me at x-3dfx FB otherwise of the details.

Greets Willem B from x-3dfx xD

kolderman wrote on 2020-03-22, 05:32:

Can the article that resulted from this be viewed online somewhere?

You can view that here at Voodooalert.de there I go as Gold Leader btw 😀
https://www.voodooalert.de/board/forum/index. … orkers-of-3dfx/

Rock on & Fly Safe

Reply 4 of 23, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-22, 05:32:

Can the article that resulted from this be viewed online somewhere?

Hi @kolderman

You can see a draft edition here:
http://www.retromaniac.es/2018/11/adelanto-en … ro.html#english

I hope you like.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote on 2020-03-22, 05:34:

Heeey Martin! (kaiser77_1982) Good to see ya here too man!

We will talk in fb!!!

Reply 6 of 23, by Obi Wan Kenobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very cool 😀 yeah it was fun doing the review actually, never expected something like that to happen, heck even at first I thought it wasn't even real, still sorry for that all 😦
at x-3dfx & Voodoo Alert we have had many unwanted things happen just being careful I guess.

But I am glad this Legacy of 3dfx Project worked out, it's a masterpiece many of us 3dfx'ers will never forget and keep close <3
So regarding the 3dfx communities, Martin, we love your work <3

Rock on & Fly Safe

Reply 8 of 23, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-23, 04:23:

Can the Legacy book be bought anymore?

Yes, in my web 3dfxlegacy.com or from my email: 3dfxlegacy@gmail.com

For the corono, I have to see the shipping and I am still waiting the second batch of units.

Reply 9 of 23, by BarFly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

kaiser77_1982 wrote on 2020-03-23, 10:45:

For the corono, I have to see the shipping and I am still waiting the second batch of units.

Epub, Mobi?

Ciao BarFly

Reply 10 of 23, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaiser77_1982 wrote on 2020-03-23, 10:45:

Is there an option to buy the English version of he book on the website?

Reply 11 of 23, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-23, 19:28:

Yes, you can see it there: https://kaiserland77.com/3dfxlegacy/producto/ … f-3dfx-ebook-2/

BarFly wrote on 2020-03-23, 13:07:

Epub, Mobi?

Ciao BarFly

I send the pdf, you can get a mobi/epub with Aldiko

Reply 12 of 23, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pity I missed this. Real life meant I was away from this forum and computers in general for a long time...

I beta tested hardware and I was the official and unofficial forum moderator. If anyone thinks my story is remotely interesting I can post it here....

I would like to check out the article and book as well as I am have been wondering about the people I worked with back then for a long time...

Reply 13 of 23, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Carrera wrote on 2020-03-25, 10:19:

Pity I missed this. Real life meant I was away from this forum and computers in general for a long time...

I beta tested hardware and I was the official and unofficial forum moderator. If anyone thinks my story is remotely interesting I can post it here....

I would like to check out the article and book as well as I am have been wondering about the people I worked with back then for a long time...

You can see a draft article here: http://www.retromaniac.es/2018/11/adelanto-en … ro.html#english

For other hand, write me 3dfxlegacy@gmail.com and we talk about your job.
Thanks

Reply 14 of 23, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think lots of people would, yes.

Reply 15 of 23, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaiser77_1982 wrote on 2020-03-25, 09:43:
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-23, 19:28:

Yes, you can see it there: https://kaiserland77.com/3dfxlegacy/producto/ … f-3dfx-ebook-2/

I bought it on your online store. Something strange...I entered in this comment into the optional text box "English version please 🙂 Thanks!" -- but it shows on the details as "Spanish version please 🙂 Thanks!". Something translated the word English to Spanish! (might just be Chrome, not sure). I hope you see what I intended to write, but if you see this comment in an order, to be sure it is supposed to say "English"!

Reply 16 of 23, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gracias. 😀
I will ping your e-mail when I get some time (still dealing with shut down in this country) and I will post answers to most of the Q's at the top of the thread in due course as well..

Just to level set: I worked with 3dfx literally months before the bottom fell out so apart so I doubt I will be able to add a lot of terribly new content. Having said that, as only a mild-techie and working partially from a business standpoint my perspective may be slightly different than others... I will read the article and maybe get the book to see if I can add value...

Reply 17 of 23, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Carrera wrote on 2020-03-25, 11:02:

Gracias. 😀
I will ping your e-mail when I get some time (still dealing with shut down in this country) and I will post answers to most of the Q's at the top of the thread in due course as well..

Just to level set: I worked with 3dfx literally months before the bottom fell out so apart so I doubt I will be able to add a lot of terribly new content. Having said that, as only a mild-techie and working partially from a business standpoint my perspective may be slightly different than others... I will read the article and maybe get the book to see if I can add value...

I wait your email with impatience 😁

//--//

kolderman wrote on 2020-03-25, 10:52:

I bought it on your online store. Something strange...I entered in this comment into the optional text box "English version please 🙂 Thanks!" -- but it shows on the details as "Spanish version please 🙂 Thanks!". Something translated the word English to Spanish! (might just be Chrome, not sure). I hope you see what I intended to write, but if you see this comment in an order, to be sure it is supposed to say "English"!

I have just seen your bought, thanks!!

In the web you can the books (ebook is a gift):
Spanish: https://kaiserland77.com/3dfxlegacy/producto/ … -de-3dfx-ebook/
English: https://kaiserland77.com/3dfxlegacy/producto/ … f-3dfx-ebook-2/

All is stopped in Spain, and I have to translate the web to English but I have no time (I am alone in the project) and I am busy with the second book.

PS: You must have the English ebook now. If you have doubt write by PM or email.

Reply 18 of 23, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I beta tested hardware and I was the official and unofficial forum moderator.

Last summer I got a Voodoo 5 and noted the fans are 3-pin fans so should report their speed, but thus far I have not found any utility that reports this. Do you know of one that does please?

I suspect there isn't one and I am wondering if you can help me get the Voodoo 5 schematics so I can check what the tachometer signal is connected to and then write my own code that does this.

SIV already reports the clocks so if I can get the information it should be pretty easy to report the fan speeds along with any other sensor information that's available.

file.php?id=79576

Attachments

• RK3.png
    Filename
    RK3.png
    File size
    23.65 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP clocks
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 19 of 23, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

coming back to this as I have more time...
I had bought a Voodoo1 for my K6-2 system and when I started a new job had little time to play but then as things settled down I decided to upgrade.

At this point 3Dfx had started making their own cards.
I went to the electronics store mostly planning on buying Voodoo3. While there I discovered the Voodoo3500. As I was into video editing at the time so I got that instead.

Since I wanted to get the most out of the card I joined the official forum.

About this time 2 things happened: The 32-bit color war with Nvidia broke out and I discovered the software for 3500 needed... help...

There was a lot of non-constructive comments made on the official forum and I simply tried to always let people stay civil.
At some point, be refusing to rise up to people's ire I was offered the job of being a moderator. I went by the user name Carrera.

As a mod I always post less. Partially because you have to check a lot of threads but also so that you can remain non-prejudiced.

At the same time I had contacted 3Dfx about the 3500's limits. We worked for many months and I tested a lot of drivers and software trying to improve things.

My main goal was to use the MPEG2 capabilities to improve DVD playback (and get around region-coding). To a degree we were able to do that, though the DVD playback was more down to system performance.

At some point I go the offer to test the VoodooTV hardware. I think it was called VoodooTVFM in Europe.

At this point I started to see that product development had a few cracks. In all the versions on all the OSes and in all combinations we could not get a bar of magenta to disappear from the TV viewer. They released the product anyway.

I am fairly sure that the VoodooTV was in fact their past product they ever sold coming out a few months after the Voodoo5.

About the same time the VoodooTV came out I got less and less info and then the news hit that 3Dfx had died.

I got a few personal e-mails I wish I had kept. The contents is a little fuzzy in my memory but I remember some.

Basically the employee had returned from a vacation he had been planning for a long time. He was Mr Motivation and was doing a great deal of work when out of the blue, they were told it was over.

The rest is pretty much history.

Not nearly as as exciting probably as many had hoped but maybe if you ask questions I can answer...