VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am looking for a good quality Slot 1 motherboard that also has at least 1 ISA slot and natively supports 133mhz FSB CPU's without the need for overclocking.

Specifically, I want to use a slot 1 P3 1000mhz 133 fsb CPU, and also want to use an ISA sound card.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That could be any number of boards, so many that for a good recommendation you'd better give some more requirements:
- is AGP required, or is onboard/integrated VGA good enough?
- if AGP is required, which version? (1.0/2x or 2.0/4x)
- how many PCI slots
- how many DIMM slots (and how much memory in total) required
- form factor (AT, ATX, uATX etc)

My general test board would fit your requirements - it's a Tyan Trinity 400:
- ATX
- Via 694X (ApolloPro133a) + 596B chipset
- Slot 1 and So370 FC-PGA
- 3x SDR-SDRAM DIMM slots supporting 256Mb chips, so max 512MB per DIMM, 1.5GB total
- AGP 2.0 (4x)
- 6x PCI
- ix ISA
- PATA-66

Would I recommend it? Depends. Despite a plethora of options, I find the BIOS rather unstable. frequently requiring an ESCD or even CMOS reset after changing hardware (particularly ISA hardware). Also boot is relatively slow. For testing purposes the slot+socket are great (as is the ability to boot from any kind of ATAPI device or any of the attached HDDs), but pointless for a steady config. I'd probably suggest something like an Asus P3V4X - but tbh, just roll with whatever you find: if your demands don't go further than a slot 1, 133MHz FSB and ISA there's tons more out there that would work fine.

Reply 2 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any specific reason you need Slot-1? Socket 370 133MHz boards and chipsets are generally much more stable..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 9, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or if you're willing to go with AMD CPUs there are a number of KT133/KT133A motherboards that will do the trick. Stable, 133MHz and ISA.

Many BX chipset motherboards support 133 MHz but that overclocks the AGP and PCI slots. Depending on your setup that may work OK or not.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 9, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Is there any specific reason you need Slot-1? Socket 370 133MHz boards and chipsets are generally much more stable..

I'm bored and I want to build the fastest Slot 1 rig. That's my only reason.

I already have a 1.4ghz Tualatin P3 rig.....

Thanks.

Reply 5 of 9, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

Or if you're willing to go with AMD CPUs there are a number of KT133/KT133A motherboards that will do the trick. Stable, 133MHz and ISA.

Many BX chipset motherboards support 133 MHz but that overclocks the AGP and PCI slots. Depending on your setup that may work OK or not.

I am looking for:

Slot 1
Pentium 3
133mhz FSB
AGP 4x would be preferable.
At least 1 ISA slot.
At least 3 PCI slots.
I will only need 2 DIMM slots as I will be using Windows 98 with 512mb of RAM.

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tegrady wrote:
I'm bored and I want to build the fastest Slot 1 rig. That's my only reason. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

I'm bored and I want to build the fastest Slot 1 rig. That's my only reason.

I already have a 1.4ghz Tualatin P3 rig.....

Thanks.

Fastest slot 1? Then an overclocked BX might just win... (or an Intel OR840 depending on benchmark)

Via's 133MHz chipsets were ubiqitous, but always lagged behind Intel in terms of performance. They are workhorses, not racehorses.

tegrady wrote:
I am looking for: […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

I am looking for:

Slot 1
Pentium 3
133mhz FSB
AGP 4x would be preferable.
At least 1 ISA slot.
At least 3 PCI slots.
I will only need 2 DIMM slots as I will be using Windows 98 with 512mb of RAM.

Thanks.

AGP 4x means no ApolloPro133 (693A)
Only 512MB means that Intel 815(E(P)) is an option - but i815 with ISA is rarer than hen's teeth.

So Via 694X it is - but just don't expect to beat a BX board with it.

Reply 7 of 9, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This test by Tom's Hardware is the most extensive that I came across when I had a similar wish/dream:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/21-slot,178-32.html
[quote]
Recommendations
My favorites in this review are Soltek SL-67KV, TMC TI6VG4 and Asus P3V4X. All three offer excellent performance and useful features.
[unquote]
In my case I ended up with an ASUS P3V4X and the one I have is a very neat board. As dionb notes, it is not quite as fast as a fast BX but the difference is marginal. The one I have here runs with 1GHz/133 cpu + 2Gb RAM and dual boot Win XP + ME. For Win 98/ME you can easily change a couple of settings so that they only 'see' 512Mb RAM.