VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have bought a new Noctua Redux non WPM and I have black,red and yellow wire, Scorptech told me the yellow is a signal wire but I only have enough for red/black that will go into a power supply, if I cut and don't use the yellow wire will the fan still work at full speed from 12V? The fan is a Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200.

Reply 1 of 4, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It will depend on the motherboard BIOS. The BIOS may shut down the computer if it detects a fan failure. Or it may sound an alarm, or just do nothing. You can usually override this in the options but some server boards will refuse to run, period, if they think a fan is non-functional.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 4, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im actually using this fan in an ATX power supply and it only has 2 pins on the main circuit baord, one for red and the other for black, the old fan was 12v so I got a new fan that is also 12v. but the old fan didnt have a yellow wire

Reply 4 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yellow is tachometre. You don't get a fancy fan RPM readout in BIOS and various in-OS utilities without it. It's irrelevant since you're installing into a PSU.