VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Am5x86 133MHz CPU and the heat sink and fan plastic clip I have is worn out I would like to use a permanent thermal adhesive tape similar to what my Voodoo Banshee had on its GPU, I have a heat sink ready to go but what brand/type and where do I go to buy this? I know there are tapes on ebay but I dont know how trustworthy they are so if someone knows a good place to get this it would be great. I dont want to use an epoxy as tape is easier to remove if needed. My CPU is 45mm x 45mm and im not sure how hot these get at full load but im guessing not that much.

Reply 1 of 11, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On second thought is Arctic silver thermal adhesive any good?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_the … al_adhesive.htm

it says not to use it between a CPU and a heat sink but it says "Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever." since im not using a 6 or 8 core high end CPU would this adhesive be good to use?

Reply 3 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

On second thought is Arctic silver thermal adhesive any good?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_the … al_adhesive.htm

it says not to use it between a CPU and a heat sink but it says "Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever." since im not using a 6 or 8 core high end CPU would this adhesive be good to use?

It works well, but as you saw it's permanent. You'll never get the heatsink back off.
I've used it on a P3-S 1.4GHz after breaking the heatsink retaining hooks. I was using that machine daily for office tasks and it did fine.
Not sure if it's available anymore though. I think it got discontinued.

Reply 5 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could just use some fishing line to go under the CPU (will thread through the CPU pins fine). Make a loop on each end of the fishing line.

And then to keep it tight up top, hook that fishing line up with a couple springs.

You will just need to make sure that the springs will be stretched out a bit so as to keep the fishing line tight so the heatsink will be held against the CPU well enough.

I wouldn't bother with thermal epoxy. It is impossible to remove. I only ever used it on things that did not have any other way to attach a heatsink to.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with the fishing line is that it's made of nylon. When put under load nylon will slowly stretch and go slack. A spring would make it go slack faster. Also nylon melts at not too high a temperature, and even if it doesn't melt in contact with a hot CPU it will slackify at an accelerated rate.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a 486 class CPU that is running hot enough to melt nylon string, then you have other problems, especially if you are using a heatsink.

For fishing line, I would try 20 or 30 lb test line. The thin stuff may have issues stretching.

You could always use cloth string instead.

You could also also use small o-rings to hook at all four corners instead of having string going across the bottom of the CPU.

And depending on the heatsink, you could possibly get away without springs... if the heatsink fins are just long fins going one way, you could always cut a slit near each corner to hook the o-rings to. In fact, that sounds like it would work really, really well the more I think about it.

This really is a Mc-Guyver job as the best course of action would to just get another cooler that is in good shape.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 11, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The plastic clip I have isn't made the best as I had the cpu in the socket then I put the thermal paste on then I pushed down the heat sink that is holding the plastic clip both together and it didn't seem right so I removed the heat sink and clip and there was no connection at all between the cpu with thermal paste and heat sink. I have now removed the cpu and put it in place and everything has contact but im suspicious that if the cpu falls down a bit from the plastic clip it wont be transferring heat to the heat sink as the only thing stopping this from happening is a very small amount of plastic from the clip. long story short is the plastic clip aint much cop and it is a potential cpu killer. I am ordering some thermal tape from ebay and throwing away the clip.

Reply 10 of 11, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Maybe someone could 3D print a heat sink clip for these socket-3 cpu’s And sell them ?

A bracket that would clip on and add clips for bigger socket7/370 coolers would be really cool. It would rely on clearance on the motherboard around the CPU though.

Old precedes antique.