VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Put together a Socket 754 system: ASUS K8V-MX (Rev 3.0), Sempron 3000+, 2x512MB DDR400, Radeon 9800, Audigy 2 ZS, Seagate 120GB IDE HDD, LG 16x DVD-RW, USB 2.0 bracket. The system booted, but there was no video. No POST codes, nothing. The power light comes on, the fans spin, the HDD light comes on, the system seeks disks in the DVD-RW and Floppy, then nothing.

I've cleared the CMOS, unplugged the USB bracket, sound card, floppy, dvd-rw, hard drive, each stick of ram, both sticks of ram (which promptly resulted in a long beep, 2x short beep POST code indicating Video Error.. Which went away after reinstalling the RAM, so I have no idea what is going on?) and removing the AGP card to boot from the onboard VGA. Nothing worked.

Things I haven't tried:

Replace the CMOS battery (it's old)
Replace the RAM (in the unlikely case that both sticks are bad)
Replace the CPU

Any ideas what the issue could be and how to proceed from here?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-09-17, 10:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by Butler2679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Replace the CMOS battery (it's old)

Start with replacing the CMOS battery. Also you might want to get a different GPU that is confirmed to be working. The onboard VGA could be dead, along with the 9800 (unlikely).

appiah4 wrote:

Sempron 3000+

Also, the CPU could be broken. My only suggestion for this is to try a different (slower) CPU. The motherboard may have issues with higher speed CPUs, although, I don't know.

Last thing to check is that everything is plugged in. I had a computer where the fans spun and all the lights came on, but it wouldn't post. The CPU power cable had been disconnected.

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried everything, and nothing worked, so I went out and bought a new board, the K8V SE Deluxe.

Same thing.

Just as I was about to go crazy I tried something, I plugged into the system the RAM that came with the board (2 sticks of 256MB DDR400) and it booted up just fine.

Now, I know that the sticks of 512MB and 1GB DDR400 I have ARE working, but they are just not working with ASUS K8V series boards. Why? The RAM that worked was single sided, the RAMs that did notw ork are double sided. Is there a weird memory density limit with K8T800 and K8M800 boards or something?

Reply 3 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going to take a wild chance and say all four DDR sticks I tried in these motherboards were faulty to begin with, so I am going to order two more sticks of 1GB DDR400 for this build. Another part of me is still worried that there is a strange RAM density compatibility issue here.. I've read threads dating back to 2004-2005 that say things like double sided DDR sticks are recognized as two banks and two double sided sticks won't run at 400MHz etc? This conflicts directly with the RAM configuration information in the manual:

Memory Configuration.JPG
Filename
Memory Configuration.JPG
File size
116.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Regardless, I'm going with 1GB Kingston Value Ram DDR400 sticks.. Any other suggestions?

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My gosh, when I read the title I thought of that ex-country of that same name and almost got a heart attack. 🤣
Guess I should stop reading news like this : auto translated to English.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//