VOGONS

First post, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since DOS and some other Glide games won't work with a Voodoo 3,
would it be an idea to add a Voodoo 2 and combine it with a Voodoo 3?
is this possible and whats the best way to do this?
I can imagine that the cards or the drivers would conflict with eachother, but is there a way to solve this?

Otherwise I might just get a GEForce 2MX for Direct3D/OpenGL, and Voodoo 2 for Glide.

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, if you don't mind juggling in between the cards with Windows driver installs on which would get the glide priority. Both should coexist fine in D3D at least, and the V2 can overtake the V3 in Glide/GL games if you drop the V2's glide dlls into the game folder you want to use the V2 in.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 9, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it's doable, but I wouldn't do it. If you want the V2 only for some older games, better use something else as the main card, GF2 MX should work, but go for something more "high end" if you can, GF2 Ultra or at least GTS or, better GF3. You'll get better performance, 32 bit support, etc. That's if you don't really care about "period correct". By the way, what CPU are you using?

Reply 5 of 9, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaverX wrote:

By the way, what CPU are you using?

Pentium 3 800mhz

GeForce 2 Ultra are way too expensive on ebay.
The ones I found are 60+ EUR...

Although I found a GTS for 30.

For now I still do have a Radeon 9200SE. but its PCI so RIP textures..

Reply 6 of 9, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PIII 800 is nice, very good for 1999-2001 games. I would pair that with TNT2 Ultra or Geforce DDR (rare and expensive). I guess GF2 MX would be a cheap alternative. Are you limited to ebay? On local trade sites or in flea markets you should find cards at very low prices.

Reply 7 of 9, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eimer wrote:
Pentium 3 800mhz […]
Show full quote
RaverX wrote:

By the way, what CPU are you using?

Pentium 3 800mhz

GeForce 2 Ultra are way too expensive on ebay.
The ones I found are 60+ EUR...

Although I found a GTS for 30.

For now I still do have a Radeon 9200SE. but its PCI so RIP textures..

Look at pictures of GF2GTS and Quadro2Pro cards. They perform the same and are interchangeable essentially. Then browse auctions. I have found this way many of both kinds that weren't listed with their names but only as "nvidia card" usually very cheap - easy to recognize from the pictures if you know what you're looking for. I grabbed a couple this way for about $10 each, left the rest for others to grab.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 9, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FX5200 is garbage, especially 64 bit version. There were a lot of 5200 made, a lot had 64 bit memory, also clocked very low (memory). Ti4200 is a solid card, if you find one cheap get it. It's kinda new to be paired to V2, but still ok. It should play all games released before 2003 at 1600x1200 at max details, your CPU (PIII 800) will bottleneck it a little, but, on the other hand, a faster CPU might cause problems to V2, even PIII 800 is a bit too fast, if you can add a fan somewhere to blow air unde V2.

Overall PIII 800 + Ti4200 + V2 should be a very nice machine, able to run almost games from 1995 to 2003 at maximum details. Just make sure that you have 512 MB RAM and Windows 98SE.