VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So some people here mention that one should put a ballast resistor on the ATX power supplies, when powering AT machines.

I wonder how sensible this is, and if it is really needed. My 286 is currently running happily, but I am worried I might damage the ATX PSU or my mainboard due to this...?

Here is a blog post describing installing a 4.7 Ohm resistor for usage in a 3D printer with ATX PSU:

https://brazenartifice.wordpress.com/2011/12/ … 12v-regulation/

I have a 4.7 Ohm 10W resistor that I could use:

4R7-10w.jpg
Filename
4R7-10w.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But I wonder: is it necessary? What are the disadvantages, apart from the resistor running hot?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well one disadvantage is that it will draw a bit over 1 amp from the 5V line, and machines from that era tended to run primarily off the 5V line; 1 amp in the resistor means 1 amp less for the computer. Make sure that the PS can still deliver the required amps on 5V with the resistor on.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won't bother with the resistor.

Your 286 already pulls enough power from the 5V rail.

The article you reference is good if you are using a cheap group regulated PSU and only using the 12V line from it for some other purpose (3d printer)

Reply 3 of 8, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some ATX --> AT adapters come with one of those resistors in the 3.3V line, but that's because 3.3V is not used at all by AT style computers. I don't think adding a resistor to 5V would help in your case.

Reply 4 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems a bit weird to worry about the 3.3V rail with the ATX ---> AT adaptor.

First of all, 3.3V is not being used, so who cares if it goes a bit out of spec.
Secondly, old computers on the AT form factor pull very little power anyway, 30-40W being pulled on the 5V rail isn't going to radically unbalance any PSU except for the utter worst, which you shouldn't be using on a retro build anyway.

Reply 5 of 8, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys. This all sounds quite reasonable. I think my PSU quite ok. Not top of the line, but it’s modular and looks to be well built. Was 60€ I think. And it seems to run fine as I said.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These resistors are only ever needed to act as a load for a PSU where a particular rail is not used so it could operate propely. Some PSUs will not regulate the voltages correctly when a rail is unloaded.
In case of that 286 machine this is not a problem whatsoever, that resistor will not do more than waste power and increase temps in the machine.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Seems a bit weird to worry about the 3.3V rail with the ATX ---> AT adaptor.

It is actually not weird at all.

canthearu wrote:

First of all, 3.3V is not being used, so who cares if it goes a bit out of spec.

sure, 3.3V out of spec is not going to be the problem. The other rails going out of spec because of unbalanced regulation however is. Some PSUs will not regulate properly unless all have some level of load on them. Then there are PSUs that have protections that will shut down if there is no load on some rails. It makes sense since any modern hardware will use 3.3V, 12V and 5V and the lack of load on one of them could indicate a fault.

canthearu wrote:

Secondly, old computers on the AT form factor pull very little power anyway, 30-40W being pulled on the 5V rail isn't going to radically unbalance any PSU except for the utter worst, which you shouldn't be using on a retro build anyway.

The main problem with running modern PSUs at low load is that their efficiency drops drastically. As long as the PSU is not 100% chinesium crap, low load (no load is a different story) shouldn't cause major stability or regulation issues.

Reply 8 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:

sure, 3.3V out of spec is not going to be the problem. The other rails going out of spec because of unbalanced regulation however is. Some PSUs will not regulate properly unless all have some level of load on them. Then there are PSUs that have protections that will shut down if there is no load on some rails. It makes sense since any modern hardware will use 3.3V, 12V and 5V and the lack of load on one of them could indicate a fault.

The answer isn't to mess around trying to get a crappy power supply to output nicer power, it is to replace it with a PSU that is built properly and isn't a major risk to your valuable retro hardware.

Koltoroc wrote:

The main problem with running modern PSUs at low load is that their efficiency drops drastically. As long as the PSU is not 100% chinesium crap, low load (no load is a different story) shouldn't cause major stability or regulation issues.

Not really a big deal, if your PSU is 60% efficient at 30W output, then you waste an additional 20W of power. Not great, but hardly a bank breaker or the end of the world, especially compared to the waste power of a PSU when running under high load. If you have an 90% efficient PSU, but are loading it to 400W, you are still going going to be losing 45W during the conversion process.