User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kant explain wrote on 2023-12-02, 18:24:
Disruptor wrote on 2023-11-28, 01:43:
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-28, 00:52:

Link don't work.

That's the problem with the internet and referring to a 5 year old thread.
Links may get invalid if the webmaster did not care about compatiblity.

I think the problem is with this site. It seems to have crunched the link rendering it unusable.

That link works perfectly if you obtain a 2019 edition on archive.org. So the issue is definitely not with this site. Try https://web.archive.org/web/20190920113356/ht … odesl-25-amp-30 .

Reply 81 of 97, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks! 🙂👍

Now knowing the title, I was able to find the thread on the new forum.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/int … sl-25-30.28757/

That being said, the old forum was much nicer. IMHO.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 83 of 97, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, this thread has seemes to die down. But I heard back from the guy who built the Radio Electronics RE Robot. Including the 80188 based robot brain. He offered to send me the whole robot. But I really don't have the room. It migjt be up for grabs. Would anyone be interested in this item? You'd have to pick up the shipping from somewhere in Florida. And the shipping from NJ for the brain board. I need to see it before I pass it on.

*** Permission to Crosspost ***

Reply 86 of 97, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It uses a RDC R8822 microcontroller, which is 186-compatible, but it is not actually a 186.
Datasheet is here: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … /RDC/R8822.html

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 88 of 97, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kant explain wrote on 2023-12-21, 17:09:

http://www.jkmicro.com/Flashlite186.html

Just because it runs dod doesn't necessarily mean it's ibm compatible. Check with the company.

Proto Raspberry Pi.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 91 of 97, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kant explain wrote on 2023-12-22, 16:32:

That's interesting.
There are two more 80186 compatible CPUs, it seems (mentioned in R-Engine-L entry) .
- 80MHz R1100
- 40 MHz AM186ER

//My video channel//

Reply 94 of 97, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kinetix wrote on 2024-03-07, 01:39:

Did anyone ever build the system (MPX-16) featured in the "Circuit Cellar" section of Byte magazine, Volume 7 Number 11 , 1982 (and v7#12 , v8#1)?

Nope, but you got me looking at the first article. 120 IC, 5 layer board, that's a project and a half. I see the board listed as available for $300 unpopulated... shows you how multilayer was black magic around then. I didn't see if they published the board layouts, suspect not many people would have been able to do anything with it back then, probably had 100, even 1000 minimum order on a 5 layer. Be interesting to see what JLPCB or similar place would want now. Probably not a super trivial amount, I'd guesstimate $50 if you're lucky. Ideally you'd want to rejig the slots for standard spacing and provide for higher density memory. All the support chips are a PITA to find for a good price too.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 95 of 97, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-07, 03:22:
kinetix wrote on 2024-03-07, 01:39:

Did anyone ever build the system (MPX-16) featured in the "Circuit Cellar" section of Byte magazine, Volume 7 Number 11 , 1982 (and v7#12 , v8#1)?

Nope, but you got me looking at the first article. 120 IC, 5 layer board, that's a project and a half. I see the board listed as available for $300 unpopulated... shows you how multilayer was black magic around then. I didn't see if they published the board layouts, suspect not many people would have been able to do anything with it back then, probably had 100, even 1000 minimum order on a 5 layer. Be interesting to see what JLPCB or similar place would want now. Probably not a super trivial amount, I'd guesstimate $50 if you're lucky. Ideally you'd want to rejig the slots for standard spacing and provide for higher density memory. All the support chips are a PITA to find for a good price too.

well, they included floppy, 2 serial , parallel and printer port on board. The interesting thing would be if anyone built one, then or later, besides Ciarcia. but , as you said, for that they should have published the board layout, but they were selling the system, so nop. unless someone made their own layout. I he found some old posts around of people who have/had one system

Reply 96 of 97, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might actually be easier to digitise it from the circuit diagrams anyway and redo the board layout, rather than force the old layout into modern tools.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 97 of 97, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I emailed circuit cellar who claimed they forwarded it to Ciarcia. I never heard back. To read his editorials, before he reaquired the magazine, you'd get the impression he was a petty douche. Too bad though. I was hoping to get into that project.