VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just picked up an HP Pavilion for free thanks to a local repairman! It was obviously never cleaned, but was still working. I cave everything a deep clean of canned air and non-abrasive cleaner fluid. After ~1 hour of disassembly/assembly, it now no longer works, and hence the title. I disconnected everything again, unplugging the non-essentials and De-oxidizing the motherboard pins. Still nothing. Is it possible that canned air killed my PSU? The test light on the back works, and power of some sort is coming through, or else the fans wouldn't spin. Anyone have any theories?

Reply 2 of 4, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

Be sure that nothing is shorting out, also check if all the power connectors(including the additional P4 power connector) are well placed.

Set it on top if a non-conductive surface and checked each connector again (including the P4), but still no boot, but now the monitor I have plugged into the built in video output auto detects the computer for a second, but loses it.

Reply 3 of 4, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also just noticed what looks to some aftermarket work on the MB. A wire on the bottom connects a capacitor to a chip named IRU1150CM ("Linear Voltage Regulator IC Positive Adjustable" if it helps) and a trace from that chip is cut. What is this and is this something to worry about?

Reply 4 of 4, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
11justsomekid wrote:

I also just noticed what looks to some aftermarket work on the MB. A wire on the bottom connects a capacitor to a chip named IRU1150CM ("Linear Voltage Regulator IC Positive Adjustable" if it helps) and a trace from that chip is cut. What is this and is this something to worry about?

Probably this capacitor is smoothing voltage ripples on the voltage regulator, which i guess could relate to your problem.