VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

a friend sold me a very cheap ati xfx radeon 7800 series but the price was because hdmi is broken .but works using vga.

the card has on the back:

2 mini displayports
2 DVI out
1 hdmi out

i tried mini displayport adapter to hdmi and does not give signal.
i tried hdmi and does not give signal.
i tried dvi-D (dvi-D to vga adapter) and does not give signal.
i tried DVI-i (dvi-I to vga adapter) and IT WORKS.

so im wondering why it only works on DVI-I ??
dvi-i is 24pin +5 , dvi-d is 24pin+1

im planning on buying a DVI-i to hdmi adapter. those are cheap, since i want to see if i can get hdmi out of it.

any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DVI-I to VGA working and DVI-D to VGA (and the other digital outputs) not working implies something wrong with the card's TMDS transmitter(s). Effectively, analog signals are being output properly (through the dedicated pins on the DVI-I connector, which enable a direct analog signal connection to a VGA output and aren't present on a DVI-D connector) while digital signals aren't. As a result, I imagine a DVI-I to HDMI adapter won't work either.

I don't know if these newer GPUs still used external TMDS transmitters or not...

Reply 2 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chances are some external voltage reference or something else along those lines is not working. Or perhaps some resistor is missing. A lot of discrete TMDS transmitters have an external resistor to set drive currents and such and I'm pretty sure the video cards have a similar mechanism present also. You should carefully look for any missing suface mounted parts under the board.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜