VOGONS

WysePC 286 WY-2200-01: the saga

Topic actions

First post, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the parts I bought from a Wise 286 AT clone came in the mail today. Looks surprisingly clean. I was lucky to find together from the same seller the motherboard and the power supply, because it has weird connectors. More about that below.

Unfortunately my time today is limited, I managed to unpack and take some pictures, now I have to go on some family errands. Will do more tomorrow.

20181001_165421.jpg
Motherboard and power supply. The PS is big, about twice the size of a modern ATX PS, and very heavy. A serious piece of iron.

20181001_165431.jpg
Motherboard closeup. Unusual power connector, and a smaller 6-pin connector nearby where a secondary cable from the PS connects. 2 more connectors at the opposite end, ?for front panel? I don't know. There are 2 jumpers that I saw so far, one labeled W7 near the trimmer at the edge of the board not far from the EPROMs, and another one labeled W1 close to the 80287. Some solder pads near the EPROMs for more jumpers, not installed. Both W7 and W1 are closed. The EPROMs are 27128, one of the first orders of business will be to dump them and upload somewhere.

20181001_165441.jpg
Power supply, label side. This is the only label on it. No power information, voltages, certifications etc. Interestingly enough it has a lithium battery warning - in the 1980s. I think I may have an idea why that is. Funnily enough, only the French warning sign explicitly calls it lithium battery.

20181001_165450.jpg
Power supply, fan/switch/plug side.

20181001_165507.jpg
At the opposite end the PS has a smaller box bolted on, from which a short cable emerges with a 6-pin connector that matches another one on the motherboard.

20181001_165535.jpg
Same from another angle.

20181001_165547.jpg
The two nonstandard connectors.

20181001_165556.jpg
And the area of the motherboard where they plug.

I think there's a lithium battery in the small box, which probably acts as backup battery. I will see if I'm correct when I open it up. Interesting design decision, and one I haven't seen used in any other computer.

I will start by checking the PS and mapping its connector voltages. As well as the small connector.

I have contacted someone who has a functioning identical machine including disks and documentation. So far I have obtained some OS ans setup disks from him. Will post here if I get permission to do so.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 1 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have dumped the 2 EPROMs, I'm attaching them to this post. The first chip is marked 250235-02 and it's located in the second EPROM socket from the edge; the second is 250236-02 and it's in the 4th socked from the board's edge.

Attachments

• Filename
    bios.7z
    File size
    20.81 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File comment
    WysePC 286 WY-2200-01 BIOS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And FWIW the 2 files merged bitwise.

Attachments

• Filename
    merged.7z
    File size
    18.71 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I opened the box bolted to the side of the PS. There is no electrical connection between the PS and the box, it's completely separate. I'm glad nobody took the bet on the battery inside, because there isn't any. Here's what is in it:

20181002_090457.jpg

An oscillator and associated circuitry. There's also a jumper block, with 2 jumpers labeled "60" which are closed. Three of the other jumpers are labeled "48" and one is unlabeled, all these are open. So it's an oscillator, but why in a separate box and not integrated in the motherboard? Who knows.

I also mapped the power supply connector. Here's a drawing with associated voltages. These were measured with no load. There's GND, 5V, -5V, -12V. Not sure if the 9.81V is supposed to be 9V or 10V. There is no +12V.

power_connector.png

The PS fan is noisy and will need to be replaced.

(edit) on second thought, the yellow 9.81V may be supposed to be +12V and it's out of spec?

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's alive! The ATI banner is from a random VGA card I found laying around and dropped in the motherboard for the first test.

20181002_121909.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay I hit a wall.

The system boots with only a VGA card in. I tried several VGA cards and they all work, though some seem picky about which slot they're inserted in.

But as soon as I add a second ISA card, it doesn't POST anymore. I tried several combinations of different VGA and IO cards, changed slots etc. Bottom line is: it boots with one card in, it doesn't with 2 cards.

I suspect the PS may be flaky. I measured the voltages in different combinations, and the picture isn't convincing.

First off, the yellow is indeed +12V. Even though it reads below 10V without a load, when connected to the motherboard and with one VGA card in (configuration that boots) the yellow reads 12.48V. Wit a second ISA card plugged, it reads 12.00V. A significant drop, sure, but still perfectly within specs.

The 5V line (red) reads 4.90V when one card is inserted (and boots) and 4.96V with 2 cards (and doesn't boot).

The -5V and -12V don't change significantly with 1 or 2 cards plugged, still read very close to the picture above.
The white line reads 5.00V also not changing with the number of cards.

So overall it doesn't make much sense. Yes there is a drop on the 12V line, but I think not significant enough to stop it from booting. And the 5V line voltage actually goes up and closer to 5V with 2 cards.

CAn anyone think of an explanation?

Ancillary question: can you identify the type of connector that the power supply uses? If I could find another one like it I could make an adapter to try and use a regular AT power supply instead. The only marking on the connector is "J H P22" printed on one side.

Last edited by stamasd on 2018-10-02, 17:39. Edited 2 times in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 21, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congratulations, nice board! However, as you can see, there seems to be nothing Wyse-specific in it - except the non-standard connectors. Also the BIOS is a standard Phoenix one, not even the brand is displayed.
You will not need any specific Software for it.

Hope you will also get some EMS cards running in it 😉

Reply 7 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Congratulations, nice board! However, as you can see, there seems to be nothing Wyse-specific in it - except the non-standard connectors. Also the BIOS is a standard Phoenix one, not even the brand is displayed.
You will not need any specific Software for it.

Hope you will also get some EMS cards running in it 😉

Well for now as seen in my post above yours, I'd be happy if I could at least attach a FDD to it. 🙁
Eventually I want to have in it either a Rampage 286, or a lo-tech 2MB card (and probably a 1MB card also so I can have some UMBs).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 21, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the solder joints for cracks or cold spots, check and repair the traces, and spray some contact cleaner in the ISA 8-bit and 16-bit slots. Could also be a bad or failing capacitor as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've inspected the board closely, it is very clean and all solder joints look good. There is no corrosion and no tracks to repair. There is a grand total of 4 aluminum capacitors on the board, all look good. This board was made way before problematic capacitors appeared. Yes good capacitors can go bad but these don't look like they have. Some of the others may be tantalum, but in my experience those don't cause problems if they don't explode, and none did. I cleaned the slots with an electronics cleaning spray then inserting/removing cards from them a few times. It did not make a difference.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

How do you know the board POSTs only with the I/O card installed when you dont have a VGA in at the same time?

Did you try other cards together with VGA (Sound, SCSI, ...)?

The VGA is in at all times. It posts with only the VGA. If I add another card, it doesn't POST anymore. I haven't tried anything else but I/O cards yet. Can't get anywhere until I can attach at least a floppy drive.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW here's a link to the setup disk, DOS 3.1 and DOS 3.3 that I got from someone on reddit. They are in ImageDisk format, easy to convert to more common .img or .dsk but if anyone wants them I can upload the converted images too. The ones I converted to .img work fine if placed on a USB drive and into a Gotek emulator flashed with FlashFloppy (tried them in another computer).
https://archive.org/details/Wyse286

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13 of 21, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

How do you know the board POSTs only with the I/O card installed when you dont have a VGA in at the same time?

Did you try other cards together with VGA (Sound, SCSI, ...)?

The VGA is in at all times. It posts with only the VGA. If I add another card, it doesn't POST anymore. I haven't tried anything else but I/O cards yet. Can't get anywhere until I can attach at least a floppy drive.

Then try some other cards to know if there is an issue with the the power supply etc. I guess its just an incompatability. I have several of these I/O cards that dont like to run in a specific board. Did you already connect cables to the I/O-card? Remove them and try without.

Reply 14 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tested about 12 VGA cards and 8 I/O cards in various combinations with the same results. After the initial 1 or 2 tests I've disconnected the floppy cable and the power cable from the FDD emulator. No change.

I think the power supply is at fault. I don't like the wide variations of voltage on the 12V line. I have found info on the power connector (see the similar thread I made on vcfed) and have ordered what I need to make an adapter cable for an ATX 1.0 supply. Hopefully will work better with that.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 16 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... good if puzzling news.
I started retesting the system today, using the same cards as yesterday. Surprisingly, several of the VGA+I/O combinations which would not allow the system to boot yesterday, do boot today. I finally settled on using a OTI077 VGA + UMC I/O for further testing. I did not do anything else to the system, just let it rest overnight. I didn't have time to check the voltages again.
Now to find my lo-tech ROM card with XT-IDE so I can start working on attaching a CF or microdrive to it.

20181003_100200.jpg

20181003_100407.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 17 of 21, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's promising. Good luck.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More info after some brief experiments yesterday (not much time to do things, and today will be the same).

1. It does not remember its settings. If I power it off for more than 5 minutes, when it's turned back on I have to run setup again because all the info previously set is scrambled to random values. The type and number of FDDs is scrambled, same with the HDDs, memory, boot speed etc. The board as you noted has no battery; I was suspecting that the little box has a battery but that's not the case. There may yet be a battery inside the power supply but I haven't opened that up to check. But after 30+ years that is probably dead.

2. Still having boot problems with various card combinations. After I somehow made it boot with a VGA and an I/O card in, I wanted to add a lo-tech ISA ROM card with the XTIDE firmware. That is still a WIP because I can't get it to both boot and recognize the XTIDE. Depending on the address, either it boots but the XTIDE doesn't get activated, or it doesn't boot. At least the results are somewhat consistent: address 0xC0000 or 0xF0000 it boots but without XTIDE, 0xC8000/0xD0000/0xD8000 doesn't boot.

I'll see what work I have time to do on this during the week-end.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 19 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not much happening. Manual received from the benefactor on reddit:
https://archive.org/details/WYSE286pcManual/page/n0