VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I just got this vintage Alienware computer. The seller had no information on it and I have not been able to find much on the internet.

I am looking to know the model of this computer, plus I want to know if the components included are original to the machine, or if they have been swapped out over time.

Based on the warranty void sticker on the motherboard, I am guessing it was made in 2005, but I could be wrong.

I am thinking that the parts may not be original because:
1) I always thought that Alienware computers were generally using high end parts or at least gaming parts. However, the motherboard and CPU in this rig are not high end.
2) Also, when it arrived, the motherboard still had the sticker over the AGP slot warning not to use 3.3v AGP cards. I find it odd that an Alienware computer would not come with a discrete graphics card.
3) The two floppy drives and CD/DVD drives do not match the case. They are mixed brand and are beige. Wouldn't Alienware have shipped these with a silver floppy drive and silver CD/DVD drive?
4) The power supply is a "Mad Dog" brand power supply. Is this a brand Alienware would have used? Also, I would normally throw a new power supply in a computer like this, but the included psu has 45a on the 5v rail and this does have an AMD Socket A CPU and I don't know of any modern PSUs with this much 5v power.

Overall, it does not feel like it came from the factory with these specs.

The main reason I want to know all this is that the motherboard has three leaking caps. If this is the original motherboard, I will probably re-cap the board so that it is back to original running condition. But, if the motherboard is not the original, I will just go ahead and replace it.

If you need more pics, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• aw4a.jpg
    Filename
    aw4a.jpg
    File size
    791.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • aw3.JPG
    Filename
    aw3.JPG
    File size
    52.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • aw2.JPG
    Filename
    aw2.JPG
    File size
    56.97 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 6, by Butler2679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do not know if the mobo is original, but remember that Alienware is a Dell company. So, based off that, I do not believe that an ASRock motherboard would be original.

Edit: that computer looks to have been made sometime around 2009. Therefore, the mobo couldn't be original.

Reply 2 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no way an Alienware could have shipped stock with a budget-class, micro-ATX ASRock-branded motherboard, or a PSU from such an unknown and dodgy-sounding name as "Mad Dog". If you payed a lot for this machine, I would look into getting a refund ASAP.

Reply 3 of 6, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't pay that much, so I'm not worried about the money.

However, I believe that this is a pre-Dell Alienware computer (could be wrong). I really don't think it is from 2009. It "feels" more like early to mid-2000s to me.

Reply 4 of 6, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Other than the alien head badge on the front, is there any reason to believe it's actually an Alienware computer?

Cases like that were sold by other companies. This could be entirely scratch-built.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 5 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^As pointed out, its not an Alienware case, but a LOGISYS DRACULA

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811148015

from mid-2000 (later replaced by the DRACULA II)