IDE CD Drive recomendations

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kane 93 wrote on 2023-08-20, 20:33:

Its a Shame we don't have a list of quite optical drives with makes and models like we do with sound blaster cards. EG what version of sound blaster 16 has the hanging note bug, if the card produce a lot of noise and what model version use a real OPL-3 chip and so on. I know you can emulate using daemon347 and software like TEAC CD driver. But like a lot of people just I want to play games using a CD/DVD drive with out the hassle. Daemon requires Windows Installer 2.0 for it to work + USB Drivers to be installed and TEAC CD driver can be flakey. However If we document all the makes and models for CD/DVD Drives then we would know what ones are the quietest drives, most reliable and ones that can read burnt disks.

Huh ? I get the most reliable but Why does it have to be the quietest ? What is wrong with some people needing the old vintage gear made as quiet as possible ?
As badmojo said: feel free to start a thread and the list

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun