VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I can get a inexpensive Xeon PII-450Mhz (boxed!), to replace my existing PIII-750Mhz.

1 - Its been a while, and I am rusty, can I used a PII in a PIII slot? (too lazy to consult Wikipedia! 😊 😊 😊 )

2 - If so, would I gain good FPS in Quake 1 (Windows version, not DOS), as it run like crap in Win98SE with current setup

3 - Is Xeon PII-450 a better performing CPU under Win98SE and regular day-to-day computing? Or is it better for servers? I am only concerned about Quake1 performance!

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If WinQuake runs like crap (on a P3 it shouldn't), it's likely SciTech MGL not getting along with your video card driver than anything else. Try -dibonly. If it's an nvidia Geforce card it'll definitely be slow.with regards to fullscreen palette shifting effects.

There's also the matter of overexpecting high framerates at higher resolutions, if this is software quake at 640x480+ you're concerned with.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it's an nvidia Geforce card it'll definitely be slow.with regards to fullscreen palette shifting effects.

Thanks, it is actually an ATI Rage 128 Pro 32MB AGP

Try -dibonly

is that a switch that I use with Quake?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 8, by bbkcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

Hello all,
I can get a inexpensive Xeon PII-450Mhz (boxed!), to replace my existing PIII-750Mhz.

1 - Its been a while, and I am rusty, can I used a PII in a PIII slot? (too lazy to consult Wikipedia! 😊 😊 😊 )

A Pentium 2 will work in a slot 1 designed for pentium III's just fine. A Pentium 2 Xeon will not work in anything other than a slot 2 motherboard though.

Reply 4 of 8, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

No. PIIs/PIIIs are slot 1, Xeons are slot 2, they are not compatible. There was a discussion if this can be done with adapters, but such adapters do not exist (or they are *very* rare).

C0deHunter wrote:

2 - If so, would I gain good FPS in Quake 1 (Windows version, not DOS), as it run like crap in Win98SE with current setup

Nope. PIII 750 is much better than Xeon 450 in Quake 1 and probably in almost anything else.
Can you give more details about your setup? Quake 1 should run *very* good with PIII 750, unless:
-you are running in software mode in high resolution (800x600 and above).
-you are running opengl quake, but you don't have a 3d card or you have a *very* slow 3d card (rageII, trio3d, etc).
-you don't have enough memory and windows is using swap memory
-you have a hardware or software problem

C0deHunter wrote:

3 - Is Xeon PII-450 a better performing CPU under Win98SE and regular day-to-day computing? Or is it better for servers? I am only concerned about Quake1 performance!

There are 2 versions (at least) of Xeon PII-450. One has 512k cache, the other has 2 mb cache. Both are very nice CPUs for Quake, but neithe ris much faster than a regular PII 450. They are roughly as fast as a PIII 500, maybe PIII 550. Anything above that should be faster.

Anyway, you should tell us exactly what you want: standard software rendering Quake or GLQuake? If you want software Quake, then you need CPU, on low resolution (320x200 modeX) a P200MMX should be more than enough for standard Quake (I'm not talking about newer maps and ports that might require a lot more power from cpu). If you want high resolution (I think you can go up to 1280x1024 in software) then you need a very fast CPU (core2 duo or even better), not even a PIII 1.4 or PIV will be enough for good framerate).

For GLQuake you need a good videocard, however for standard GLQuake a V3 or TNT2 should be more than enough, unless you want huge resolutions.

Reply 5 of 8, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, thank you so much for such informative responses!

OK, I simply want standard software rendering Quake, and I am not sure my system runs so choppy, even at the lowest speed! (This is the WinQuake, Win95/98 version, as DOS version runs fine, but I only have shareware version of that!)

Reply 6 of 8, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
C0deHunter wrote:

Wow, thank you so much for such informative responses!

OK, I simply want standard software rendering Quake, and I am not sure my system runs so choppy, even at the lowest speed! (This is the WinQuake, Win95/98 version, as DOS version runs fine, but I only have shareware version of that!)

Just take your id1 folder and put it in the shareware folder and run quake.exe

Reply 7 of 8, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would still want to know the full configuration (or at least how much RAM do yo have). Try running the game this way (from command prompt or add the option to shortcut on desktop):
winquake -heapsize 64000
Also, check the resolution of the game, I think the default is 320x240, but I'm not sure, it might be the desktop resolution.
I assume it runs fullscreen, right? (not in a small window).

In game try a timedemo, activate the console by pressing the ` key (under escape) and write
timedemo demo1

Press enter, wait for the demo to end, see how many fps you have.