VOGONS

First post, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Torn between the Dimension 8200 and an Athlon XP as my AGP box... what was originally going to be my "best of the rest" build but now demoted further - maybe an XP / 98 dual boot (and down to fast DOS from 98), though I have something else that would make a better XP setup.

The GPU choice is a Ti4200 (DX8) or a 9800 Pro (DX9) - not sure if I could get away with either on the Dell PSU.

Ideally, one, or at most two systems to cover any of the old games I dredge up - the DOS stuff, I don't remember as including any of the notoriously speed sensitive things, plus some 9x stuff and anything else that would be problematic on my daily driver.

If I need slower, I do have an uncertain condition 486DX4 (VLB) or a P75 (onboard S3 Trio)

Soundcards, got some SB PCI / SB Live, and my first ever, SB16 MCD (with the next to useless ASP chip and a non-name wavetable DB) - I know that's the one that would get me furthest in DOS.

Reply 1 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post some specs of the Dimension 8200 you're talking about? Its also worth mentioning that those systems frequently have bad capacitors.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 10, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ti4200 would be a nice fit.
8200 is usually a 2.4GHz Northwood P4 with 512MB-1GB RDRAM... my parents had one. It came with a Ti4200 so it should work fine.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 4 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Radeon HD3650 AGP will also fit nicly 😜

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hm i would install at least a 9800 Pro or 6800 Ultra/GT

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 10, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spun up the other possible candidate: specs
GA-7ZXE Motherboard
Athlon XP 1800+
512MB PC133
40GB HDD, but I have an 80 and a 400 spare
PSU is Eagle 300W with 30A on the 5V and 13A on the 12V - definitely a 5V generation PSU, even though it proclaims "P4" - the 12V load must currently be minimal as the 12V is a touch high and the 5V a touch low (group regulated)

BIOS has option for SB legacy, only low DMA setting, but I wonder if this might give simple coverage down to "fast DOS system" as well (default is Int 5 & DMA 1).
I hit it with some canned air, but the heatsink fan sounds like an aircraft taking off - small and very high RPM.

Case is cream (yay! retro!) and carries a CD-RW (cream/silver) and a DVD-ROM - I also have a cream DVD-RW spare - don't know if I can fix the power button (stuck in and no click), but the reset button is wired as power (I did that for my friend some time back.

The Dell, I seem to recall was a P4 2.0, with 768MB of RDRAM.

Now I really must download the MB manual to read more about the SB function, and see if there are any NOS Socket A coolers to be found

Reply 8 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

hm i would install at least a 9800 Pro or 6800 Ultra/GT

It would be hugely bottlenecked on an early AthlonXP/P4 there is no poşnt in investing something sonexpensive; a 9609XT would do the job here.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's little to none CPU bottleneck with high resolutions and quality AA settings active.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 10, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Checked the 8200
Dell motherboard using RDRAM
Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0GHz
768MB RDRAM (2x256 & 2x128)
80GB HDD
PSU - Dell 250W with 13A on 12V - and I'm guessing the P4 DOES draw from that, and I make that nearly 11A just for CPU and a 9800Pro (found a figure of 75W for that)
Can't find a figure for the Ti4200, but it does not require any more than slot power.

Both are PCI/AGP only
The P4 in the Dell has SSE2 - which may be important if I take it up to XP, as the latter end of XP stuff used it, but then, I have a spare LGA775 Prescott that I can do XP with.
The XP1800+ has 3Dnow (was it ever used much?), and the system has, apparently, SB Pro emulation. I've ordered a 60mm and a 70mm FAN (slow boat from China) to see if I can quieten that heatsink - or I pinch the Thermosonic V60 from my other Socket A.

Both systems have a valid XP with them.

I'm going to have to set up a DOS or 98 (DOS 7) on that 1800+ and see if the SB emulation works adequately - probably a long way from OPL3 (or would that be OPL2) quality