VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the strangest problem trying to build 386 pc. I can't get any floppy drive to work with it properly. It basically show any floppy as empty with no files if I use dir command and hundreds of errors if I use chkdsk command. I have tried everything I can think of. Multiple different floppy drives, multiple controller cards, multiple cables, multiple power supplies. I have tried that floppy drives, cables, controllers work in another computer. Hard drive boots fine and everything on the hard drive works fine if I connect a hard drive that I have installed stuff on another computer. I have tried disabling motherboard cache in bios because on another computer it once fixed floppy problems, but not on this one.

The problem has to be with the motherboard itself, but I don't know what could cause something like this because the floppy controller is always on separate working isa card that works on other computers. Could there be bios setting that I have overlooked? Motherboard uses AMIbios dated 12/12/91.

Reply 1 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have set the FDD type in the BIOS to match your attached FDD... right?

You should be able to choose between 3.5" 1.44MB/3.5" 720KB/etc each for the A: and B: drives.

Reply 2 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I have set them correctly. I have tried both 1.2Mb and 1.44Mb drives in the system and always set them correctly after changing.
This isn't an simple problem to solve. I have been trying everything I can think for days now.

Reply 4 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I tried disabling motherboard cache. I mentioned that in my first post too.
I have also tried slowing down ISA clock and adding wait states to 16 bit ISA command wait states in bios.

Reply 5 of 6, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I somehow overlooked that... Maybe removing the cache chips completely? I'd try swapping the CPU and/or running it at a lower frequency. Also try a BIOS from another board with a similar chipset, if it can be found.

Reply 6 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately I don't have another 386 and I also don't have manual for this motherboard so I have not changed any jumpers since I got it. I have tried it with turbo disabled which seems to take it down to 286 speeds.