VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday,someone told me he has this PC.
TBH I never heard of this one nor did I see one for sale.
Is this a rare bird? Didn't seem to be a success back in the days.

Now I want one hehe.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep that's a rare bird. There are some videos talking about it if you want to know more about it

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just saw one and dang I want it.
Saw the machine and it's supposed to be working but pricewise I am clueless. I'm not even sure if he wants to sell it.

F1b6AHal.jpg
Q0rt62sl.jpg

Reply 3 of 8, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Over the years I have owned several units of this specific model. It is not rare in Europe, but it’s quite uncommon like the PC AT.

Reply 4 of 8, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen the AT a few times on Marktplaats but never this one. The hunt is open 😀 And I want the matching monitor too OFC :p

Reply 5 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's relatively uncommon. They made less of them than ATs for sure. It's basically an AT in an XT case.

It's kind of a cool system to own, because it was the last of the classic IBMs and it had a few pretty nifty authentic IBM expansion cards for it like the VGA display adapter, and a 12MB upgrade board that used 30 pin SIMMs. The motherboard is also somewhat interesting, because it was rumoured IBM gimped it down because they didn't want it to compete with the PS/2, but it was supposedly on reserve as a backup plan incase the PS/2 bombed.

I have a non functional XT 286 motherboard that I was planning to fix and use to pimp out my AT. Back in the day, I recall people having pretty good luck with overclocking these boards. I'm hoping for 10MHz (zero wait states). Some ATs in europe actually used the XT-286 board from the factory, and I believe it was internally referred to as a "Type IV" AT board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 8, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made a video comparing it to an AT a while ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZZ-G7FOAw

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave