VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a general question, how do you know when you're getting enough power or when you need a more powerful PSU, especially in a machine too vintage to be covered by something like that Coolermaster Online Guide that some videos recommend?

I ask because I have a Dell GX260 which has a Geforce 4 ti4200 in it and so far has worked just fine with the stock Dell PSU that has been in the case (which I think is 300watt). Should I be satisfied with that, or would I get better performance out of like a 450watt? Or does it even matter? There's surprisingly little information about this, for how much PSUs seem to be an important factor in PC building.

Reply 1 of 2, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this really comes down to basic math. You need to know how much power your components require, what what youre PSU is rated to deliver. Calculator or no. All those things do is handle the math for you

Reply 2 of 2, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if it works and does crash, it is fine.

The TI4200, while it pulls a bit of power through the motherboard, really isn't that excessive.

With the Ti4200 card, I'd only really start to examine things more carefully if the PSU was like a 200W or smaller unit.