VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep. I should've gone for an ISA sound card. Oops.

Here's the weird thing: the card initially worked fine, in Windows, and played DOOM perfectly. It played DOOM in DOS mode as well, but, without actual SoundBlaster digitized sound support (the weird sound kind that isn't MIDI).

I went into the SETUPDS.EXE application like I saw in Phil's video, and worked on it for a couple of hours trying to get DOOM to be able to use the sound effects in DOS mode, to no avail. That's when things started getting weird.

I tried Wolfenstein 3D in Windows, and it wouldn't launch. I can't remember what I did, but I went back into that SETUPDS.EXE application in DOS made, changed something, and suddenly, Wolfenstein 3D worked perfectly except without sound effects.

Then, DOOM wouldn't launch in Windows. It would crash, saying that a mouse driver didn't support SWIFT (not sure what that is). It has no longer ran properly in Windows since, even with a clean re-install of Windows 98 SE. Now, it launches in DOS mode, but without any sound at all. If I disable all sound card functions in DOOM in the setup program, it will run in Windows fine. Wolfenstein 3D runs alright but again, no sound whatsoever.

I don't know if I somehow damaged the card in the SETUPDS application, but all it does is IRQ and DMA stuff. I'm worried that I have indeed done something, because the problems carry over between fresh, full formatted Windows 98 re-installs (I mean, format.exe WITHOUT /q), and after working on it for about an hour and a half, I can't see any way out of this.

It worked just fine initially, so there's no way it's a DOA situation of any kind. I think my stupidity surrounding sound cards has finally caught up with me.

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, what motherboard do you have? You may need a modified setupds to get it to work properly. If the chipset is too new, you may need to use DSDMA instead of DDMA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a Gateway Tabor III OEM board, and since I've had it, I've had PnP and power management disbaled. I tried enabling PnP as a last ditch effort, which ended up making things worse, so I disabled it again. It's basically a generic i440BX chipset motherboard.

I'd be happy just to get the games working in Windows 98, rather than DOS mode, but for some reason it doesn't even work there anymore, which doesn't make sense because I reset the settings to how they were when I first installed the card.

Where am I?

Reply 4 of 6, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Windows, the first thing I would check is IRQ/DMA.

The Yamaha Legacy should be using 'something' like IRQ5 and DMA1 without conflicts. Look and see if any other devices in Device Manager have problems and see if they are trying to use the same resources.

Whatever the setting are write them down, like 220,5,1 you might need them. Windows might have it as something like 240,7,0 for all we know.

Meaning your card is initialized as 220,5,1 and SET BLASTER shows 220,5,1 but Windows is using 240,7,0. Fire up a game and no sound, lockup, whatever.

your SET BLASTER, SETUPDS and Windows need to use these same settings. I fought this for a bit on a SE440BX-2 until I understood what was going on.

Make sure in Pure DOS that SET BLASTER and SETUPDS /S have been to initialize sound card.

Does your motherboard have the SB-Link / PC-PCI header? If it does, or the spot for one, I would consider using it after modifying card/motherboard to use S-IRQ and PC-PCI. It works brilliantly.

The Yamaha Windows Sound should be using something like IRQ 10 or 11 without sharing, hopefully. Might need to change PCI slots.

This really is a great card. Let me know.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 6, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I removed an ethernet card that was installed, and it seems to like me now.

I'm content with running DOOM under Windows, as it works now, and I don't want to mess with it any more and risk developing new problems.

And it does have actual MIDI synthesis, which is what I wanted in the first place.

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 6, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
athlon-power wrote:

I removed an ethernet card that was installed, and it seems to like me now.
I'm content with running DOOM under Windows, as it works now, and I don't want to mess with it any more and risk developing new problems.

That once resolved my issue on my Pentium 4 machine as well. Sometimes it's very wise to just make some sacrifices and realize you just can't have it all. 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM