VOGONS

First post, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally put myself together and started proactively looking for 486 parts! This is the best (not corroded) AMI board I've found so far. Upon research it appears to be HOT-419 (http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb3/hot419.htm).

Seller's pics:

mb01.jpg

The color seems to be different from reference board, as well as the battery holder.
http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb3/hot419p.jpg

mb02.jpg
mb03.jpg

Could someone please confirm the model and if it was modded? According to seller who's testing it in the meantime, there are no signs of soldering.

I would appreciate any feedback on the motherboard as well, though in the absence of SiS I crave, it's a no-brainer among a bunch of PCCHIPS scrap.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 9, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a tabbed battery, basically a standard coin cell with nickel tabs spot-welded. They're uncommon but not that rare. I've seen them mostly on laptops from the 486-to-pentium era.
You can even make your own from standard batteries if you want - all you need is a spot welder.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also get a battery holder that style or use a standard CR2032 battery holder as well. IT looks like there should be plenty of room to use a standard holder that lays down.

The stand-up holders are kinda wonky and seem very easily breakable to me.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blob.jpg
Filename
blob.jpg
File size
52.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I could be wrong but it looks like something could have been soldered there^ at one point.

In any case, that "mount" seems a bit too fragile/precarious for most manufacturers... I've certainly never seen a board look like that from-factory.

Btw, there is a HOT-419 of similar colour, but with normal-looking battery holder and missing 3.3V regulator, pictured here.

Reply 4 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
blob.jpg

In any case, that "mount" seems a bit too fragile/precarious for most manufacturers... I've certainly never seen a board look like that from-factory.

As the battery is spot-welded to it, it would take quite a bit of force to remove it by accident in a normal environment (recycling centers are not normal environments), especially with the keyboard socket right next to it.

Such holders are more commonplace in professional equipment, AFAIK.

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That battery is a rechargeable one, not what came originally with the mobo but it is a direct replacement for the classic barrel shaped ones.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

That battery is a rechargeable one, not what came originally with the mobo but it is a direct replacement for the classic barrel shaped ones.

By "direct replacement" you mean that the "technology" came right after "acid barrels" and it was probably replaced by a "professional"?
I'm concerned about it being a rechargeable battery. Can I swap it for a non-rechargeable without the risk of it blowing up as the result (will this mobo actually try to recharge it)?

Will it be hard to brake the battery free from the pads, bend it some and try and squeeze a regular cr2032 in between them?

Ideally I would like to replace the holder for a more generic one. Is it possible to neatly solder it in place of this thing with just a soldering iron?

Am I correct to assume that this holder, be it original or replaced, not in the least a reason to pass on this motherboard?

Last edited by 0kool on 2018-11-03, 15:35. Edited 3 times in total.