VOGONS

First post, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I am looking to build a Windows 95 computer that is compatible with both Windows and late DOS games.
I have some hardware my friend give me that I can use, but I will need a graphic card and sound card for the system that is both compatible with Windows and DOS.
Here are the parts I have:
CPU: Intel Pentium MMX 233
MB: Legend (Lenovo) VX586 with Intel chip set, and it has a QDI sticker on the back of the board, four PCI slot and three ISA 16 bit slot, no AGP slot
Memory: 128MB SD RAM, can be upgrade to 256MB
Video card: Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T PCI (cannot seem to find any driver working for this video card in Windows 95)
Video accelerator: 3DFX Voodoo 4MB
Sound card: Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4550 (Also cannot find any driver works for it)
Hard drive: Seagate 9GB
Plus floppy and CD-ROM drive.
Currently I can get most of these stuff working, but cannot find drivers that works in Windows 95 for the video card and sound card.
So what is the most compatible video and sound card that works well in both Windows and DOS without driver issues?
Please give me some suggestion, even the rare cards are OK because sometimes you can find one here in China very cheap if you get lucky.
Thank you!

Reply 1 of 4, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not really like you got some weird or obscure components in your build, so I find it weird that you haven't been able to locate any working drivers for Windows 95. Anyways, for your build I'd recommend you getting a Sound Blaster 16 for sound. If you'd like to go really cheap though, you can get a C-Media CMI8738 card of some kind, which offers decent compatibility all around, but I'd really get a Sound Blaster 16, if I were you. For video I'm not sure what to recommend, but I do know for sure that the drivers for the S3 Trio64 are pretty easy to locate. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 2 of 4, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Strahssis wrote:

It's not really like you got some weird or obscure components in your build, so I find it weird that you haven't been able to locate any working drivers for Windows 95. Anyways, for your build I'd recommend you getting a Sound Blaster 16 for sound. If you'd like to go really cheap though, you can get a C-Media CMI8738 card of some kind, which offers decent compatibility all around, but I'd really get a Sound Blaster 16, if I were you. For video I'm not sure what to recommend, but I do know for sure that the drivers for the S3 Trio64 are pretty easy to locate. 😀

Thank you for replying.
I think the video card and sound card previously belonged to an OEM computer, so they may need a specific driver to run them. I have tried all the drivers I can find online, but non of which worked.
Sound Blaster 16 is a good choice, and my friend suggested me today to go for a AWE64 Gold, not OEM edition, which one you think is better? I can find one around 40USD, is that a good price?

Reply 3 of 4, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That explains the problem, I guess. For DOS and Windows 95 I'd recommend you to go for a SB16 instead of an AWE64, though I'm far from an expert on sound cards. You can get a SB16 CQM-variant for very little money, OPL3-variants on the other hand tend to be quiet a bit more expensive. I've heard an AWE32 is also fine for Windows 95, but I do not know much about those honestly. 😜

CQM-variants: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ISA-CREATIVE … RHEiW:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CT4170-Sound-Blaster … ayjIG:rk:1:pf:0

OPL3-variants: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Sound-Blast … bMzf:rk:23:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CT2800-CREATIVE-LABS … bp75w:rk:2:pf:0

You should probably so some research of your own about which model SB16 you want; they might all be a SB16, but all they sound pretty differently from each other. I ended up choosing the CT2800 myself. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM