VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,
Mostly planning to play Strike Commander, Pacific Strike, Wings of Glory, and most other DOS flight sims.

I am looking at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAVIS-BLACK-HAWK-DI … wF-T:rk:23:pf:0

The packaging says Win95-98, hopefully its compatible with DOS?

p.s. another option would be MS Sidewinder:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-SideWinder … YZtAR:rk:8:pf:0

but it does not have the 'hat' button (meaning I can't pan 360 view)

Which one do you recommend for DOS? (Strike Commander mostly!)

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 5, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my limited experience (with Logitech Wingman gamepad and Wingman Extreme Digital joystick) by default Win9x controllers will only give you 2-axis and 2 buttons in DOS. So I'd hate to spoil your expectations, but the lack of hat might be the least of your problems.
See my original post for more details.
Unfortunately it wasn't answered.

Simply put, try to get a DOS compliant joystick if possible.

As for the models, both things you've mentioned are good. Given it's age, some rubber parts might be slightly degraded and stinky, if you're unlucky.

Reply 2 of 5, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your response. There aren't too many options for pure DOS, are there?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 5, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

Thanks for your response. There aren't too many options for pure DOS, are there?

there used to be, but good luck finding them now.

What you can come across regularly are CH flightsticks and Logitech wingman extreme (non digital). I bought myself a wingam extreme a while ago and I'm rather happy with it. The non digital lack the red throttle control on the base and instead have 2 grey adjustment wheels for the axis.

Reply 4 of 5, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure you can find something on eBay, Gravis Firebird 2 comes to mind.
Or someone more knowledgeable than us might actually read this and provide a solution in form of some universal joystick driver or whatnot.

Reply 5 of 5, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0kool wrote:

by default Win9x controllers will only give you 2-axis and 2 buttons in DOS.

Is it a bad thing then? I mean I will be limited (no extra buttons, rudder, hat, etc.), is that what are you saying?

This is a search result for DOS Flight Sim:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_tr … 15+pin&_sacat=0