VOGONS

PCI ide in 486

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would a card like this work in dos and boot in a 486 that has SIS496 chipset and pci slots?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATA-133-HDD-PCI-IDE- … ad/302939973967

Or are there pci options that would work better?

Reply 1 of 21, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use an Ali M5283 based PCI IDE+SATA card on my 486 with i420EX chipset, only one I managed to get working on it. Promise Ultra66/Fasttrack66 didn't work without data corruption on it and SIL311x cards didn't do anything at all. No idea about VIA based cards. I don't have a SiS based PCI 486, they may or may work with these cards.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 21, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BIOS needs to be able to map the boot ROM somewhere useful where it won't conflict with other (ISA) cards and run it (sometimes there's boot SCSI option in BIOS but usually the boot ROMs should always get ran), and the boot ROM itself may not use Pentium+ specific instructions etc.

Reply 5 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure almost all PCI IDE and SATA cards only support hard drives.

The computer BIOS sees these PCI cards as SCSI devices, so it may be possible to get one to work with a CD-ROM but it would probably require a special driver.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Pretty sure almost all PCI IDE and SATA cards only support hard drives.

The computer BIOS sees these PCI cards as SCSI devices, so it may be possible to get one to work with a CD-ROM but it would probably require a special driver.

IDE and SATA RAID cards only see Hard Drives, but ATAPI control cards see and control opticals no problem. An example is ITE IT1282 which can be configured either way via a BIOS flash. I recently made a thread begging for the ATAPI BIOS for that thing, and nobody seemed to have it, and after persistently begging to ITE I got the BIOSes and the datasheet.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, has anybody here tried this before ? I mean, are these kind of controller's firmwares still compatible to i386/i486 processors,
or do they use 586 instructions already (I'm asking because PCI became popular with the Pentium generation) ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

Um, has anybody here tried this before ? I mean, are these kind of controller's firmwares still compatible to i386/i486 processors,
or do they use 586 instructions already (I'm asking because PCI became popular with the Pentium generation) ?

I have only used it on Socket 7 and onwards, so I can't vouch for this..

Reply 9 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

IDE and SATA RAID cards only see Hard Drives, but ATAPI control cards see and control opticals no problem. An example is ITE IT1282 which can be configured either way via a BIOS flash. I recently made a thread begging for the ATAPI BIOS for that thing, and nobody seemed to have it, and after persistently begging to ITE I got the BIOSes and the datasheet.

I've got one (It's ITE8212)... SIL0680 also has an ATAPI BIOS. I had to desolder the parallel flash to program the ITE8212, because their utility didn't work. I hot flashed it in a motherboard BIOS socket.

Neither chips are anything to write home about. Nothing touches Intel when it comes to a perfect implementation of ATAPI standards.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 10 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mockingbird wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I've got one (It's ITE8212)... SIL0680 also has an ATAPI BIOS. I had to desolder the parallel flash to program the ITE8212, because their utility didn't work. I hot flashed it in a motherboard BIOS socket.

Neither chips are anything to write home about. Nothing touches Intel when it comes to a perfect implementation of ATAPI standards.

Of course, but they are still good for use in legacy systems that only have UDMA33/66 support regardless.

Can you elaborate on the BIOS flash? What was the BIOS chip on the card? My card has an SST re-programmable BIOS, but I hear there are cards out there with one time write BIOSes or cards that have BIOS flashing disabled (somehow).

Reply 11 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So nobody has gotten DOS CD-ROM support working with PCI add-on cards in MS-DOS? CD-ROM support with PCI add-on cards works fine in Windows. CD-ROM support in DOS can be useful for DOS games which require a CD check.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 21, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Would a card like this work in dos and boot in a 486 that has SIS496 chipset and pci slots?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATA-133-HDD-PCI-IDE- … ad/302939973967
Or are there pci options that would work better?

If 3.3v rail in PCI slot is necessary for working (that is highly possible) then the card won't work.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 14 of 21, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't found one that does. Sometimes they recognize the CD drive but they still won't work.

Reply 16 of 21, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

so all those ebay sellers that advertise that sata optical drives work with their adapters are incorrect?

I've only tried the opposite way - PATA DVD-Writer to SATA port on mainboard (Intel H61 chipset). It just works.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 17 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't expect any miracles with those PATA-SATA adapters... They all use a JMB chipset which aint too great.

There does exist another PATA-SATA chipset other than JMB, but don't ask me for any details, and I doubt it supports ATAPI translation at all either.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 18 of 21, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for resurrecting my old thread but I found a pci ide card that just works on my 486 motherboard. Maybe this is not so uncommon and the info of this thread is old information, but I was excited.

pci ide card.jpg
Filename
pci ide card.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is picture of my very first test that I just did. There are few things though. I am currently using kingston turbochip there so that is why it shows 5x86 there even if I normally run 486 dx4 100Mhz. Also the hard drive speeds don't seem very impressive probably because after the test I noticed I was using 40 wire ide cable that was leftover from when I didn't have the pci ide card there. Another thing is that I had warning that smartdrv was in the memory when I ran speesys, so that might also affect results. Main thing for me is though that this card supports larger than 127Gb hard drives and it just works on an old 486 motherboard.

pci ide speedsys.jpg
Filename
pci ide speedsys.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 19 of 21, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Switching from 40 wire ide cable to 80 wire ide cable increased the reading speed from 2800KB/s to 4800KB/s. I assume the low speeds are because of DMA transfer not being enabled in dos.