VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What type of coin battery can I use to replace a Barrel Battery on a 486 motherboard ?

CR2032 ?

Attachments

• Coin Battery repair.jpg
    Filename
    Coin Battery repair.jpg
    File size
    81.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the barrel batteries are rechargeable, you can't just hook up a cr2032, it will REALLY not appreciate it (the board puts out charge current during operation).

If you want to use a non rechargeable battery as replacement, you need to put a diode on the positive lead for protection.

Personally, I will probably get a battery holder for either 3 AA or AAA cells and use eneloop rechargeable batteries. Eneloop are rechargeable nimh Batteries with especially low self discharge.

//Edit: I forgot, there are rechargeable CR2032 equivalent that come with soldering legs like the barrel batteries, however, they are Lithium-Ion cells. They are supposed to work fine, but I don't really like to use them in this case, because they don't come with protection and the board lacks proper charge circuitry for those cells.

Reply 2 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Being in the US, you can also find triple cell NiMH or NiCd battery packs for cordless telephones. They work perfectly.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 13, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay so I can use something like this holder with an eneloop rechargeable battery ?

Attachments

• battery holder.jpg
    Filename
    battery holder.jpg
    File size
    32.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 13, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your motherboard have a connector for an external battery? Many of them do. Then you can just chop off the barrel battery and connect either 2x AA or 4x AA battery holder (depending on whether the motherboard needs 3V or 6V) and use normal AAs, as many motherboards don't try to charge batteries connected to the external battery connector. But before you do this it's a good idea to measure the voltage on the connector when the motherboard is powered on, to make sure there is no voltage measured on the connector pins. If there IS power on the external battery connector when the motherboard is operating then it does try to recharge the external battery and you can disregard this advice 😀

Reply 6 of 13, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What type of coin battery can I use to replace a Barrel Battery on a 486 motherboard ?

CR2032 ?

There is rechargeable version of it: LR2032

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 7 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The charging profile of a Li-Ion battery is quite different than the original barrel pack. NiCd (what was probably originally installed) and NiMH batteries are generally not so sensitive and have fairly simple charging circuits. They also have similar voltages per cell, so you can generally use either type interchangeably.

In either case, it's preferable to locate the battery pack away from the motherboard where it can't damage anything if it fails.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

some people use them for this, however it is not a good idea. They are Lithium Ion cells and as such sensitive to incorrect charge curves. The charging circuit on a motherboard is not designed for lithium ion cells and the cells also lack protection circuitry. When they are charged incorrectly they can and do blow up. And that is not meant figuratively.

If you feel lucky, you technically can use them, but do so at your own peril. If something goes wrong, consider yourself warned. I strongly recommend against it.

Reply 13 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

they are 1.2 V. 3 of them in series will work, there are battery holders for that.