User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible? I'm fine with a 10MHz CPU, but I'm just curious! 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don’t think so, I know 386 and later PS/2s you can put a Kingston TurboChip on, I don’t think 286s can be upgraded tho. Lucky you though, model 30 286s are uncommon

Early 90s: IBM PS/2 Server 95/A, Pentium 66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, IBM SCSI Corvette, SCSI2SD, 3 Com EtherLink III MCA, Resound 2 AdLib MCA
Late 90s: Micron Millenia MXE, ABIT VH6-II, Coppermine 1ghz, 1024MB, Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, GUS Max 2.1, 128GB SATA PNY SSD

Reply 3 of 7, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some quick research it appears you can get add-on for this machine that go up to the 486 SLC @ 50Mhz. How much that improves things when it's stuck with a 16 bit bus is beyond me!!

Reply 4 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on what kind of software you're running, but I would say it should improve things quite a bit based on my experience.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Performance aside, you get access to i386 instructions and 386 memory management, so quite a lot of older software that simply wouldn't run on a 286 could now work. Then again, if you want that, any generic 486DX-33 could offer the same at similar or far better performance (depending on software). Half the charm of an authentic old system is its limitations. But if you can actually find the 486SLC2-50, it's your choice.

Reply 6 of 7, by Stepinwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some time ago, when my IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 was not nearly as classic, I upgraded the CPU with a Kingston SX Now card which plugged into where the original 80286 10 MHz processor was on the motherboard. This board had cache memory on it as well as a faster 386SX-33 processor. There is an empty socket for a 387 processor. I have seen N80387 25 MHz co-processors on Ebay for what looks like a reasonable price, but haven't seen one that says 33 MHz except those that us the pin grid array and those won't work on this board.

Reply 7 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rare-Vintage-Cyr … qYAAOSwNhpbCszA

Cyrix made the best FPUs. This one was rebranded for "Reveal" but is internally the same. IT should be good for up to 40MHz.

The intel ones will probably work at 33MHz as well as long as they are later models. Intel released the 386SX-33 late in the life cycle of the chip, and I don't know that they ever made a 33MHz 387SX.

The 387SL *should* also work.

I would get the Cyrix.

IIT and USLI are also okay, but a little slower.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium