VOGONS

First post, by superderek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there!

I somewhat recently rescued a 486 computer from an e-waste junkyard and have been trying to resurrect it for some fun DOS and Win95 fun! Slowly but surely, I've been making my way through the restoration process and have stumbled upon a problem with getting my serial mouse to work that I just can't seem to surmount.

The R418 has COM1/3 and COM2/4 headers onboard, and the PC came with a bracket with connectors for those headers. One of them is the standard 9-pin serial connector, and the other is the longer variant, though the connectors and internal headers are the same. The problem is that I don't seem to be able to get the machine to recognize that I have a mouse connected to COM1.

I've taken a pin jumper and connected pins 2 and 3 on the serial connector and attempted to load up a hyperterminal session, but none of the things I've typed are echoed back to me. Additionally, I've switched the RS232 ribbon cable over to COM2 and attempted the same procedure, again with no luck.

I've been told though that some older motherboards have different header pinouts. But before I go down that rabbit hole with a multimeter, I was hoping someone here with experience with the R418 motherboard might be able to offer any insight? Much appreciated!

edit: I just dug out my multimeter and was able to verify that in pins 4 and 7, DTR and RTS, I'm getting around 11.9 volts DC on each. So that should indicate that since the pins are giving the right voltages, the pinout of the cables should also be good. What I don't know is if this should indicate that the controller is still good since I'm getting good levels? Or maybe it means nothing?

Reply 1 of 5, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no experience with this particular motherboard, but check if you have continuity to GND at pin 5 of your D-sub connector. If not, means that your bracket isn't the right type for your mobo.

Reply 2 of 5, by superderek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you!
I just checked and it looks like I do NOT have ground continuity using this bracket. I went ahead and checked pin5 of the header against ground, and that pin DOES have continuity, as shown here. So I think this would indicate my board has the normal style header pinout, whereas the bracket\connector I have is the old style?

Man, I suspect a new bracket will be loads easier and cheaper than a new IO card! Thank you for your help Quicknick! 😀

Edit: Also, since I have a spare bracket now that is apparently a non-standard, is there a place I can post it up for someone else to grab if they are in need of one?

Reply 3 of 5, by superderek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent! I realized I could remove the black plastic shrouding from the ribbon cable connection to the RS232 plug, and realized I could simply re-solder the connector in the correct method! Booted up the PC to windows 95 and it's alive! IT'S ALIVE! Feels great, like I've just conquered the universe! And I didn't have to buy anything to do it!

Thanks again so much for pointing me down the right path! 😁

Reply 4 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There seem to be two prominent serial cable wirings found on computers os this general era. Best to keep a few of each around for testing. As a very general rule, it appears as is SiS 496 boards often use the same standard while UMC 8881 boards use another. I find this odd because the RS232 chip is not part of the chipset.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen two sort of wiring :

1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8

(used on all my machines newer than pentium1)

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

(used on some of my pentiums and on all my older machines)

You can see which one is it by unscrewing the connector and sliding back the plastic.
First one has staggered cables where every other wire goes to the other row.
Second has a split in middle of the cable with one going to top row and other going to bottom row.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜