VOGONS

First post, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm looking for a new keyboard for my Win 98SE machine.

The perfect candidate would have:

-Cherry MX brown/blue
-Media keys that either work natively with windows 98 or have drivers to do so
-Black in color
-Preferably new/new old stock but will consider used if in like new condition and obviously fully functional

I'm pretty flexible about the price if it ticks all the above boxes.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can use an older Cherry branded keyboard with extra keys that is programmable. Then you can set up the keys to do whatever you want.

Edit: I have a couple of the G80-8113 keyboards (available in black or white and USB or PS/2 - pretty sure brown switches are standard - that is what mine have) and you can either program the extra keys via the keyboard itself or through software. The software I don't think works in Win9x, but you can do the regular hardware programming.

For the Cherry Tools that supports Windows 98SE, look at the model G81-7002. Should be the same one that works with the G80-8113 and other keyboards but their download section is all wonky and doesn't show up any software for a lot fo the keyboards even though they support it.

https://cherry.de/download/us/download.php

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
You can use an older Cherry branded keyboard with extra keys that is programmable. Then you can set up the keys to do whatever y […]
Show full quote

You can use an older Cherry branded keyboard with extra keys that is programmable. Then you can set up the keys to do whatever you want.

Edit: I have a couple of the G80-8113 keyboards (available in black or white and USB or PS/2 - pretty sure brown switches are standard - that is what mine have) and you can either program the extra keys via the keyboard itself or through software. The software I don't think works in Win9x, but you can do the regular hardware programming.

For the Cherry Tools that supports Windows 98SE, look at the model G81-7002. Should be the same one that works with the G80-8113 and other keyboards but their download section is all wonky and doesn't show up any software for a lot fo the keyboards even though they support it.

https://cherry.de/download/us/download.php

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding the Cherry branded boards, will the software you linked to for the G81-7002 work with any keyboard they offer?

I see a couple of keyboards with dedicated media keys in the products section of the website that look promising but I want to be certain they will function with 98SE.

Thanks again.