VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i replaced my retro case original had nice HP big speaker, which worked for pc speaker and sound card, unless you plug in external speaker, i thing that some some special HP wiring for that.. On MB was some special SPK header and header is white and small and different from classic black one pc speaker header.

When i look at Ebay i see only very cheap beepers like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Mini-Plug-Speaker … Zioj~:rk:1:pf:0

Where i can buy something better?
I prefer something with proper holding mechanism, because old case that something for it and i dont like just not screwed components in case.

I know that some Sound cards have some pc speaker header, but i never used it.. It is working even without sound card drivers or not? I mainly care about it for Dos.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you can use any 8 Ohm speaker, such as this one:

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Vis ... Zyyg%3d%3d

This one is 50mm diameter, but you can pick something that fits in your PC case. You will probably have to build your own cage for mounting though...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 3, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the PC speaker header on a soundcard is there to connect the motherboard output so you can route the PC speaker sound through the soundcard. depending on the card that input is likely muted by default and must be turned up in the mixer setting. Some rarer soundcards like the Pro Audio Spectrum don't have a header but intercept the signals directly, but I don't know how.

That header is NOT for using the internal speaker as an output device.

Reply 3 of 3, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

root42 : Thanks, not mounting, but its good start. Its with pc speaker cables, or you would need soldering?

Koltoroc: I know that its not header for speaker, but for speaker input.. i suppose that i can use same cable as for analog cd audio.. but main question is really if this would work even on bare metal level with sound card directs loaded in Dos, becaue otherwise i dont see this as good idea. PC speaker is good as sound card fallback..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.