VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not going to use any windows on my 386, therefore 4dos should be okay and stable?
Do you have any alternative for DOSMAX?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 21 of 26, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4dos was okay with what I and my colleagues did back then (mainly editor, compiler, debugger).
But it conflicts with some internal DOS things and for this I would not have it loaded when doing stability tests - you else cannot be sure about a problems' origin.

DOSMAX - what do you want it for? aren't the 600+k sufficient that can be used with stable and reliable methods?

Reply 22 of 26, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll check, if i have problems with original command.com.

Dosmax - because i want to try to get the absolute maximum out of the 640k. I'm at about 628k.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 23 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On some 286, 386 and 486 chipsets, you can actually go even further ! 😁

It's called UMBDRVR and it lets you use some UMB without loading HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.EXE ... and you can even load HIMEM.SYS high !!

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 24 of 26, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Deksor, like RDOSUMB, i'm already using. 😀
Also, JEMMex does quite a nice job.

Reply 25 of 26, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, played around a little.
I moved away from 4DOS to classic command.com, removed the DOSMAX, yet problems persisted - machine starts to behave a bit weird (as described above) and soon locks up.

Any other ideas, i could try out?

Reply 26 of 26, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just scanning around the threads about this motherboard and found this out.

I found the culprit, and it was not about the motherboard. My big Sound Blaster 16 (CT2830) was the cause of instability.
While not sure, why it caused those problems, replacing it with another Sound Blaster 16 (CT2940) fixed all issues with that computer.

So a bit of necro for the thread, but at least this thread is closed. Hopefully helps someone in the future.