VOGONS

AMD5x86-133mhz P75 Restore

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Istarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote:
Personally I would not run Win9X on this. The CPU seems a tad too weak but it should make a good DOS machine - especially for la […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:
How would you setup this computer for ultimate DOS 6.22 / Win3x / Win95 gaming ? How much ram ? How much cache ? What graphics c […]
Show full quote

How would you setup this computer for ultimate DOS 6.22 / Win3x / Win95 gaming ?
How much ram ?
How much cache ?
What graphics card ?
I have some sound blaster AWE64 cards.
I am using a 540mb WD hard-drive.
Should I leave it stock at 133mhz or over clock to 160mhz ?

Personally I would not run Win9X on this. The CPU seems a tad too weak but it should make a good DOS machine - especially for later DOS games such as Battlespire, Star Trek TNG Final Unity, CyberMage, Redneck Rampage, Quake, Tomb Raider, etc.

For the rest: I got a AWE64 in my P166 but personally, for a DOS PC I'd go with a classic SB16 myself because of OPL3 support.

For RAM: for anything DOS, 16MB is the max you should really need. More usually doesn't hurt but the rare game or program may have trouble with it.

For graphics: Trident was a pretty standard card back in the day so unless you run into issues with games, I'd just stick with it. How much memory does it have?

The Windows 98 minimum specs is a Intel 486DX 66 with 16 MB of ram. It runs quite happily on a 100 MHz Pentium with 24 MB of ram. It may not be a stellar games machine, but that's more a matter of what software/games you want to run than the operating system.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/baldurs-gate-i … of-amn/techinfo

To be honest they recommend a Pentium II minimum for this game, but given that the slowest PII I am aware of is clocked at 233 MHz and the game probably needed to run passably I would be surprised if it wouldn't run on OP's machine especially with the CPU overcloked. Playable or not is of course an important distinction as is whether his other components will tolerate the overclock.

Reply 21 of 24, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember installing win98 on a dx2 66 with like 16 ram, it took like 90 minutes, most likely ran like crap but it felt very fast to me.

I think as time goes we are using to faster and more snappy response especially with ssd drives thesedays so if we ran win98 on a dx2 66 now it would probably be very hard but back then it was quiet manageable

Reply 22 of 24, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98SE is okay on a higher end 486 with 32-64mb and barebones installation, not much you can do gaming wise though, its a dos machine and not many SVGA games will run well, Quake is past the limits for smooth gameplay even at 320x200.

Reply 24 of 24, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah for me it was always just so I can say have win98 think all the gaming i did was with restarting to dos mode... ohh yeah and ofcourse for winamp and xing player! (which ran choppy for vcd)