VOGONS

First post, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've picked up an old Dell XPS T500 this week and have installed Win98SE back to it. There was a Linux distro on it when I bought it. It's a great machine and works good.

I'm looking into upgrading some of the components. Maybe the hdd or the graphics card (TNT in it now). I've tried to see mention of the changelog for bios updates to see if I need an upgrade, but cannot find anything. I can't find the updates itself too. My system runs A04 and I've seen mentions of A11 on the web. Anyone knows where to get them? Dell isn't hosting anything about this system anymore.

Reply 2 of 8, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Definitely still on their website. https://downloads.dell.com/bios/BXPST_11.exe

Great, thanks! I tried the support site and it did not come back with results trying T500 as searchstring.

Reply 3 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least two models of that line were produced, T450 and T500. Were there more?

Dell are very good about supporting their old machines. I have a Dell system from 1996 which still has support pages online.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 8, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

At least two models of that line were produced, T450 and T500. Were there more?

I have seen a T550 too. The case of this system is very solid and all feels well build. Win98se installs without issues. Great machine for your retro Win98 fix

Reply 5 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know them well. At one time everybody I knew seemed to own one, and they would regularly come to me for repair/upgrade. You can run 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerons on them with a suitable adaptor.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 8, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

You can run 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerons on them with a suitable adaptor.

I bought 2 celerons on slotkets yesterday from an online marketplace. Just for the slotkets. I have some high end P3's that I want to try.