VOGONS

First post, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, the last year my friend found a Compaq Presario 4640 and asked me if I wanted but I told him "no thanks" since I had a K6-2 based one from 1999 (5184) but yesterday I went to walk with my friend and I told him that I wanted the machine so he gave it to me

Since the machine was so heavy we carried it from his home to mine and it arrived without any issues :3

After that my friend went back to his home and I did get the machine to my room with my force in my hands, then I prepared my bed (Yes I do all my computer work in my bed with a big piece of wood to prevent the tinniest bit of ESD of hitting the components) and I started the machine up, it did boot to Windows ME (Yuck!!!) but I did found some intresting stuff like a rip from a Rod Stewart CD and that was it and then I began to format the drive and then the problems started

Before starting to describe the upgrades I did, I wanna mention that this machine had EVERYTHING original, like it was never ever upgraded... until yesterday at the night x3 (Like my HP Vectra, remember it??) and the machine was built in late '97 (11/22/1997) early 1998 so I was impressed that nobody did upgrades thru the whole time when that machine was in service with his original owner

Last use was in 2004, so yeah

And now for the upgrades!! :3

First of all was to install 98SE on the Slowtum Smallfoot drive, it took me almost 3 times to do it since the installation would freeze at some point because it had less RAM than recommended

And to prove it that it had the original components, take a look at this Compaq ad for their refurbished computers

compaq.jpg
Filename
compaq.jpg
File size
471.31 KiB
Views
File comment
Compaq's ad for their refurbished machines (Source: PC Mag, 11/3/1998)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's how I got it

original.jpg
Filename
original.jpg
File size
962.35 KiB
Views
File comment
Door is missing ;.;
File license
806021680_143691.jpg
Filename
806021680_143691.jpg
File size
134.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Original Pentium II 266 processor
File license

The first upgrade is that I switched the drives until I decided to stay with an HP CD Writer from the year 2001 made by Mitsumi since the Hitachi DVD drives (I have two of them) have issues reading discs sometimes and then it was turn for the RAM which I upgraded from the original 48 megs to a single PC-100 stick consisting of 128 megs (Since the motherboard has a 440LX chipset I was sure that it was going to accept it)

IMG-20190104-WA0030.jpg
Filename
IMG-20190104-WA0030.jpg
File size
95.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Original PC-66 RAM consisting of a 32 and 16 meg modules
File license

Then today I swapped the Quantum Bigfoot drive for something more faster and bigger, a 6.4 GB Seagate drive and before that I replaced the dead CMOS battery

Since the case only accomodates Quantum drives I had to do a little paper jig uwu

hddpapersupp.jpg
Filename
hddpapersupp.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File comment
Due to the lack of a proper 5"1/4 adapter I had to do something using paper (?
File license

Continues in the second post

Last edited by Rodoko on 2019-01-06, 03:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Continuation from the first post

So, the Seagate drive was a nice upgrade, so what I did is I used a PIII computer to run Acronis on it to copy the contents of the Quantum to the new one and then I installed NFS II (I love Rom Di Prisco's songs on it) to test if the paper jig that I made resisted the vibrations caused by it and it did!!

Aside from the paper, the drive is supported by just one screw which at the first time I considered it dangerous, so that's why I made the paper support

So, the machine ended looking like this

upgrades.jpg
Filename
upgrades.jpg
File size
840.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Upgraded machine
File license

More pics

quanseagate.jpg
Filename
quanseagate.jpg
File size
849.44 KiB
Views
File comment
HDD size comparison, my god, the Bigfoot of course is so big, according to Quantum is "the bigger the platter the more space we have but the slow the transfer access is going to be (?
File license
promosticker.jpg
Filename
promosticker.jpg
File size
916.71 KiB
Views
File comment
Still has the original promo sticker so, I made a closeup so you guys can read it :3
File license
desktop.jpg
Filename
desktop.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File comment
K-pop lover :3 (Girl group: Twice)
File license
especificaciones.jpg
Filename
especificaciones.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File comment
Specs for those intrested
File license

The last two pics were taken on the machine itself

So, I hope that you enjoyed this double post as I enjoyed making it owo//

Reply 2 of 2, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rodoko wrote on 2019-01-05, 18:47:
Continuation from the first post […]
Show full quote

Continuation from the first post

So, the Seagate drive was a nice upgrade, so what I did is I used a PIII computer to run Acronis on it to copy the contents of the Quantum to the new one and then I installed NFS II (I love Rom Di Prisco's songs on it) to test if the paper jig that I made resisted the vibrations caused by it and it did!!

Aside from the paper, the drive is supported by just one screw which at the first time I considered it dangerous, so that's why I made the paper support

So, the machine ended looking like this

upgrades.jpg

More pics

quanseagate.jpg

promosticker.jpg

desktop.jpg

especificaciones.jpg

The last two pics were taken on the machine itself

So, I hope that you enjoyed this double post as I enjoyed making it owo//

Lovely thread and old so apologies if resurrecting but I recently dug the old family computer out, same model but for the life of me cannot find the restore CD. Don't suppose you have an ISO?

Cheers