VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the title says, I'm building a Win98 PC with an SSD drive. Its an ASUS P3B-F, 440BX chipset, P2 400. I can go with either an IDE adapter or a SATA card. I've tested using an SSD with a SATA board but as a final build, which is the best way to go?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 6, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the BX I'd say to use a SATA controller, as even ignoring for a moment that it can only do UDMA-2, the PIIX is connected through the PCI bus, so no matter what you have that 133MB/s limitation, but at least the SATA card will be faster than 33MB/s.
IMHO ATA-SATA adapter make sense only on newer (or less old) stuff, where the southbridge has its own dedicated link with the NB, as it allows you to free up PCI bandwidth. Also the onboard IDE on these machines is most likely at least 100 so it doesn't cripple the SATA disk too much.

Reply 2 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, but only as long as the SATA card is broadly supported and has an onboard ROM with a BIOS extension for booting.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you really need more than 33MB/s on a PII / Win98 build? That's a pretty fast drive for those days. 😀 You could fill up your RAM in 4 seconds.

Personally, I would go with the adapter, since it's emulating the drive interface to something that era of computers can comprehend. I don't have any first-hand experience trying to get SATA adapters working on older PCs, but since that was kind of a Pentium 4 era thing, I would expect it to get dicey. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure people here do it everyday.

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BX motherboard's on board controller will be limited to ~160GB without drive overlay software.
If your using a larger drive then that I'd probably go with a card over overlay software.
If your under the limit I'd go with an adapter just to keep it simple.

Performance wise I couldn't say which is better, but really both are pushing the motherboard to the limit anyway

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Performance-wise the PCI SATA controller (if a decent one like Promise) will definitely be faster, but:
- latency is far more relevant than throughput for the feel of speed in general use, and the difference there will be tiny.
- any (non-JMicron) SSD wil so vastly outperform any period HDD in that that any differences between controllers are insignificant compared to the huge gulf vs even the fastest period HDD.
- PCI SATA controllers (or any other card with option ROM) seriously impacts boot time, whereas PATA-SATA adapters don't affect it at all.

Anything older than Win2k/XP, I just use adapters (not for lack of drivers, Promise SATA150 TX2 Plus and TX4 have perfectly good Win9x drivers), and newer it really depends on what I'm doing.