VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering if there is a list of GPUs that support legacy D3D directX features like table fog and 8 bit palatalized textures? So far, the only ones I know of are the geforce 4 Ti cards and Voodoo GPUs. I think the geforce FX cards do as well, but am not sure on that one.

ATI never supported table fog. Only through emulation? Is that difference significant?

Not much info on S3 and Matrox.

Google isn't much help on this one. I found this thread, and folks were like "somebody should make a list of this stuff"... and everyone was like "yeah! What a great idea!!" But not such list I have yet found.

Table Fog & 8-bit Paletted Textures

Support for more stuff nvidia side comes up around geforce 256.

Does the geforce4 mx cards have support for these features (mx 460, 440, 420?).

Last edited by mothergoose729 on 2019-01-15, 04:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not aware of a complete list, but it would be rather short anyway.

ATI Radeons never supported those features in hardware, rage128 might have but I can't find any documentation. The emulation by radeon cards was removed in later drivers after the radeon 9700 release, early driver versions should support it IIRC, but don't quote me on that. Assume the 900 series did away with it to be safe. I'm not sure how good the emulation was, but considering ATIs driver quality at that time my guess would be not very good. It also wasn't officially supported.

Nvidia supported those features AFAIK with all cards up to and including the FX cards, with the geforce 6000 series being the first ones without support. There was no emulated support and all support was hardware based IIRC

All other manufacturers are pretty much a big unknown here, but I would assume anything that is DirectX 5 or 6 compliant to have those features.

Reply 3 of 3, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you mean 32bit color rendering, all geforce cards from geforce256 to geforce FX series support 32bit color rendering, table fog and 8bit paletized textures. Older TNT and TNT 2 cards had table fog support but no 8 bit paletized textures support.