VOGONS

First post, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CF card in my Pentium died yesterday. I was wondering what the current best practice for storage solutions for a PC of this vintage is.

I did the CF-IDE thing, maybe 8 years ago. Put a 32GB CF card in it, and was pretty happy even under Windows 95. Large CF cards haven't really dropped in price much, and having one die in less than a decade puts me off a bit.

SD cards have dropped in price, and SD-IDE adaptors are available now. Are they any good? I liked the CF solution, because CF cards support IDE natively. SD cards require software to translate protocols. I don't know how compatible that's going to be.

Does anyone use a PCI SATA card on a computer of this vintage? They exist, don't know about DOS or Windows 95 compatibility. I guess SATA to IDE adaptors exist too. What happens if you put a 1TB SATA drive in a Windows 95 PC?

Any other potential solutions?

Reply 1 of 1, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote:
The CF card in my Pentium died yesterday. I was wondering what the current best practice for storage solutions for a PC of this […]
Show full quote

The CF card in my Pentium died yesterday. I was wondering what the current best practice for storage solutions for a PC of this vintage is.

I did the CF-IDE thing, maybe 8 years ago. Put a 32GB CF card in it, and was pretty happy even under Windows 95. Large CF cards haven't really dropped in price much, and having one die in less than a decade puts me off a bit.

SD cards have dropped in price, and SD-IDE adaptors are available now. Are they any good? I liked the CF solution, because CF cards support IDE natively. SD cards require software to translate protocols. I don't know how compatible that's going to be.

Does anyone use a PCI SATA card on a computer of this vintage? They exist, don't know about DOS or Windows 95 compatibility. I guess SATA to IDE adaptors exist too. What happens if you put a 1TB SATA drive in a Windows 95 PC?

Any other potential solutions?

I use a SSD with a SATA to IDE adapter. You can still find SSD drives in 32gb and slimmer capacities, and often times they are cheaper or the same price as an equivalent size SD card. I guess I prefer it because a SSD with a half decent controller will handle random read/write request without choking (theoretically possible on flash media without a controller), will more than saturate whatever bus it is on, and I can swap them easily with SATA capable computers if want to.