VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is an area I don't know anything about, so I'm looking for some elementary guidance. 😀

I have been tearing down all my old PSUs and re-capping them. I started with my 386, which had some corrosion on the PSU case, so I removed all the labels and cleaned it up. Now I want to re-affix the labels. What should I use?

For that matter, I had to spray the bottom of the whole chassis with fresh paint. It has four large rubber feet that I will also need to re-attach. Same goop, or something different?

Halp! 😁

Reply 1 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For labels I've had good luck with a standard glue stick when reattaching them. For the feet you can use a tube of silicon or even try some good hot glue as well.

Reply 4 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, glue stick? Really? Like, the Elmers stuff you would take as a snack to elementary school? Huh. I would not have expected that to work worth a gosh darn. 😀

I actually really like the hot glue idea for the feet. Should be easy to remove again if I need to touch up the case, and of course, I already have it. If it doesn't hold well enough, I'll go for the weatherstrip adhesive. Rubber attached to a painted metal frame? That sounds like a perfect fit.

Thanks guys.

Reply 5 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah a good quality glue stick works great for labels. I've had good luck with the Elmer's purple sticks it alows you to see how well your coverage is and it drys clear

Reply 6 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So... glue stick did not work out very well for me. The labels have a bad habit of rolling up into a straw, so I started out by cutting some strips of blue painters tape and forming a tape carrier on which to lay the label's visible side. This formed a "patch" with the label's adhesive side exposed. Then I applied the glue stick to the label and stuck it on the PSU case. A day later, I peeled up a strip of blue tape. The tape stayed firmly attached to the label, and the label eagerly separated from the PSU.

It wasn't a purple glue stick, but it was an Elmers. Maybe I don't have the right kind? Or perhaps I need something with a little more grip.

Suggestions?

OTOH, the hot glue seems to be working for the feet. I don't think it's a super strong bond, and there may come a time when I try to slide the case over a desk surface and the feet give. If so, I'll whip out the weatherstrip adhesive. But for now, I think it'll do!

Reply 7 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also use double-sided Scotch tape. Just stick the label on the tape, then tape it onto where it needs to go. After, you can use a razor blade to trim off the excess double-sided tape from around the edges.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8 of 9, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would consider something like adhesive vinyl sheets, the outdoor kind (will last longer). I would probably also consider scanning and reprinting the labels, it would solve the curling problem, but would not be original.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually using Loctite 406 for attaching rubber feet. It's great for general repairs of ABS and other kinds of polymers used in computers too, as long as the fracture surfaces are clean, and there's no filling requirement.

Would guess other makers got equivalents too.