VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys i have a pentium3 motherboard and the PS/2 , mouse and keyaboard ports are not working. Motherboard brand is MSI socket 370.

I read here P3B-F PS/2 ports stopped working that on other motherboard from ASUS with the same problem, taking out a 8 pin resistor near the ps2 connector was the fix to have the PS2 ports working again.

Is this something common from motherboards made for the Pentium2 and Pentium3 era?
Is it possible that it can be fixed easly having soldering skills?

I wonder if here on the forum someone can tell me how to identify this kind of error in order to have it working again.

I still need to check if my motherboard has same 8 pin resistor. maybe there is a person that has knowledge on how to fix common motherboard problems and knows how to get the PS2 connector working

any advice is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:
Hi guys i have a pentium3 motherboard and the PS/2 , mouse and keyaboard ports are not working. Motherboard brand is MSI socket […]
Show full quote

Hi guys i have a pentium3 motherboard and the PS/2 , mouse and keyaboard ports are not working. Motherboard brand is MSI socket 370.

I read here P3B-F PS/2 ports stopped working that on other motherboard from ASUS with the same problem, taking out a 8 pin resistor near the ps2 connector was the fix to have the PS2 ports working again.
8><CUT
I still need to check if my motherboard has same 8 pin resistor. maybe there is a person that has knowledge on how to fix common motherboard problems and knows how to get the PS2 connector working

I had a similar problem with an ASUS CUV4X board but removing the C151 resistor did not have any positive (or negative) effect.

keyboard.jpg
Filename
keyboard.jpg
File size
604.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

parke are you still able to use that pentium3 motherboard with a USB keyboard in DOS to enter the bios or type in DOS without having windows installed?

or how did you fix your problem? because if PS/2 ports are not working...then how do you connect a keyaboard and mouse to be used in DOS?

Reply 3 of 5, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have not tried other options. Because the board did not work how it should I retired it because I suspected that the I/O chip was not working properly and I do not like half-functioning hardware in a build.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check if L3 and L18 conduct, they're likely to blow out before the fuse does in case of overcurrent.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜