VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to make a list of great accessories that are quite handy for building retro computers. Maybe you can help and provide more ideas so we can have a full list. These are really nice accessories that you can buy to use on new or retro pcs.

1) Gotek floppy drive emulator for USB flashdrives (no more magnetic non working floppy discs)
2) SATA/IDE to USB 3.0 Adapter, Hard Drive Adapter for Universal 2.5"/3.5" Inch IDE and SATA, to plug via usb on another pc. (handy if you have lots of HDDs, sata, ide, notebook, desktop and read them on PC with USB)
3) SD card to IDE board (great for notebooks and desktops)
4) Compact flash to IDE board (great for notebooks)
5) Compact flash card (that has a SD card slot inside the CF. (great if you dont have a CF card)
6) Motherboard ISA / IDE Diagnostic Analyzer Post Test Cards Kit
7) PS/2 to USB adapter (for old Model M keyboards) ( a must for any model M keyboard)
8 ) SATA to IDE boards.
9) AGP to PCI adapter
10) ATX power supply supply to AT power supply cable adapter. (connect a brand new power supply into an old AT motherboard)
11) EPROM flasher , (handy for fixing and reading old bios)
12) DIN to PS/2 adapter, both directions (for new keyb on AT-style systems, and AT keyb on new systems)
13) floppy and IDE cables without blocked-off key pin
14) serial DB25 to DE9 adapter
15) serial mouse, or PS/2 mouse that supports serial communication with PS/2 to serial adapter.
16) chip puller for pesky E(E)PROMS and cache chips
17) chip remover for LIF-sockets (i.e old CPUs)

Accessories i would like to see in the future:
. Some kind of mod to a SNES controller to make it connect to a 486 DOS PC.
. Some kind of CDROM emulator that accepts images with AUDIO tracks.

Last edited by SETBLASTER on 2019-01-25, 20:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SETBLASTER wrote:

They have existed for quite some time 😀 I had made one for a PSX controller back in the day, and it worked great.

Regarding your list - how about a PicoPSU and its derivatives as a power supply alternative?

Last edited by Revolter on 2019-01-25, 19:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 2 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- DIN to PS/2 adapter, both directions (for new keyb on AT-style systems, and AT keyb on new systems)
- floppy and IDE cables without blocked-off key pin
- serial DB25 to DE9 adapter
- serial mouse, or PS/2 mouse that supports serial communication with PS/2 to serial adapter.
- chip puller for pesky E(E)PROMS and cache chips
- chip remover for LIF-sockets (i.e old CPUs)

Reply 3 of 31, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Revolter wrote:

Regarding your list - how about a PicoPSU and its derivatives as a power supply alternative?

Usually they lack the negative 12V supply and it may cause a lot of problems and wasted time... (Talking from an experience, unfortunatelly...)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 4 of 31, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Revolter wrote:
SETBLASTER wrote:

They have existed for quite some time 😀 I had made one for a PSX controller back in the day, and it worked great.

hey i never saw that, what a great mod.
but it works on windows only??? or you can use it in DOS? how do you setup the driver for DOS?
a SNES controller is better than any other controller.

i have updated the list.

Reply 5 of 31, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SETBLASTER wrote:

how do you setup the driver for DOS?

Sorry, I forgot that it only works in ZSNES DOS version - turns out direct support for this project has to be implemented in DOS applications in order for it to work. It was probably the only thing I used it for on that system, so this detail has eluded me %(

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 6 of 31, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of little bits of kit for making everything fit.
Drive rails for 286 class machines,
tons and tons of different screws,
spare PC speakers,
CR2032 coin cell holders,
3.5 to 5.25 drive bay adapters

just in general you want lots of stuff in stock. I recently built another machine and i was glad that i had bins full of RAM, ISA/VLB/PCI boards, power supplies, cables, drives, etc for when things didn't work.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 7 of 31, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Revolter wrote:
SETBLASTER wrote:

how do you setup the driver for DOS?

Sorry, I forgot that it only works in ZSNES DOS version - turns out direct support for this project has to be implemented in DOS applications in order for it to work. It was probably the only thing I used it for on that system, so this detail has eluded me %(

i think that with your modded gamepad, plus a DOS TSR called SNESKEY, you can en up having it working on some DOS games
but i haven't found info about that on PUre DOS. nor reviews

http://www.emulatronia.com/reportajes/directpad/md/soft.htm

SNESKEY acts like emulating that you are typing on the keyboard.

Reply 8 of 31, by gloomkeep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

I can't recommend these enough. I went from spending two hours removing a stubborn 486 cpu with a screwdriver, to about 4 to 20 seconds with this tool (no matter how hard the CPU is jammed in there)

lif.jpg
Filename
lif.jpg
File size
175.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 31, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gloomkeep wrote:
dionb wrote:

I can't recommend these enough. I went from spending two hours removing a stubborn 486 cpu with a screwdriver, to about 4 to 20 seconds with this tool (no matter how hard the CPU is jammed in there)

lif.jpg

I'll need one soon since I got to remove my old 486 SX CPU that's in a LIF socket - can't for the life of me find that tool anywhere though.

Maybe I can find or make something myself that grips underneath the CPU on both sides so I can wiggle but damn, even removing an ISA card can mean a LOT of pulling and that's just a slot. This is pulling 168 pins from a socket.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 11 of 31, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked this up at a local thrift store a few months ago for 5 bucks. Best 5 bucks I've ever spent. It's a diagnostics tool for XT and AT class machines mostly, but it can be used with any computer with an ISA or MCA slot. It includes a BIOS POST display, voltage line indicators, and a logic probe! It also comes with software that has tables of codes for almost every type of BIOS, pinouts for most common motherboard ICs, and a software suite that includes hundreds of tests for everything from serial port loopback tests to an editor to directly edit HEX values on your HDD! Pretty useful if you work on anything older than a 486.

ITxX8iG.jpg

Sr7XRmD.jpg?1

lvjKHj6.jpg?1

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 12 of 31, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, I found this page on wiring a SNES controller to your parallel port.

http://arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/www.csc.tnt … ork/default.htm

Reply 14 of 31, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

9) AGP to PCI adapter

Do these things even work?

Yep, but it depends. Many video cards can POST with these just fine, but it's up to their drivers if they can do Direct3D and OpenGL in Windows. Linux is easier in this regard. I have a bunch of such adaptors for sale on the CPU-World forums. PM me if you're interested.

YkHk3g3.jpg
P7WcCjV.jpg
GXg4D0Y.jpg

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 15 of 31, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking of getting one of these DIMM slot testers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-DDR2-DDR3-Memor … b1~nA:rk:7:pf:0

Supposedly will find open or short address and data lines on a mobo, amongst other things. Anyone used one, do they work?

Also those ISA/PCI analyzer testers - do they only work on really old mobos or will they also work on more modern mobos that have PCI slots (eg socket 775 or Super Socket 7 boards)? I seem to find many mixed reviews of these and no clear idea if they are useful or useless. I cant' tell from the reviews if it is the user that is useless or the hardware.

Reply 16 of 31, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ISA POST cards work everywhere with ISA slots present. PCI POST cards are a different matter. If a mainboard has an ISA slot, I don't bother myself with a selection of a compatible PCI POST card.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 17 of 31, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ISA POST card is less useful on newer motherboards because the bios effectively hast it built in. Where it really comes in handy is when you're repairing a computer such as the IBM XT, where it just won't boot and it gives you no information at all.

Reply 18 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:
gloomkeep wrote:
dionb wrote:

lif.jpg

I'll need one soon since I got to remove my old 486 SX CPU that's in a LIF socket - can't for the life of me find that tool anywhere though.

Maybe I can find or make something myself that grips underneath the CPU on both sides so I can wiggle but damn, even removing an ISA card can mean a LOT of pulling and that's just a slot. This is pulling 168 pins from a socket.

To say the truth, I was not aware of the fact that such a special tool existed.

Even back in the days, when I was working as a part time IT tech, we were using slot cover brackets to lever them out. Not the flimsy tin foil kind that is common today, I'm talking about the slot covers of the old times, which are thick and almost unbendable.

The process, as very nicely described by a fellow vogoner:

"The trick is to lever them out evenly. If you lift up one side too much further than the others, you will bend the pins. So lift up each side by 1mm or less at a time, and work your way all around the chip over and over until it comes out. It can be a bit of a lengthy process,"

But it worked and still works based on my experience.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 31, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you extract chips where one side is so close to another component (e.g. power connector) that there's no way of slipping a tool down on that side?

Is this too much voodoo?