VOGONS

First post, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

When I try to open a file with 7-zip 9.20 and drag and drop a file inside the zip to the desktop, I get the following error: File system error (1026).
I get this error in a clean installation of Windows 98 SE. As far as I know, this is not an specific 7-zip error, and also happens in other software.

Anyone knows any official update that fixes this error?

Reply 1 of 4, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quick Google search suggests the following common causes for error 1026:

-Not enough disk space (or the file is larger than 4GB)
-The full filename, including the complete directory path to it, is too long (exceeds ~255 characters)
-The file name contains a character that is not allowed by the FAT32 file system

So, I'd say check each of those possible causes to start off with.

Reply 2 of 4, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is not any of the cases. It also happens with 7-zip 9.04 and 4.65.

It seems like a kind of "permissions" problem (although Windows 98 don't have user privileges). The error appears every time you want to drag and drop a file to the desktop or to the root folder. In other folders works fine.

Reply 3 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a bug, all my machines do that too. Just use the "extract" context menu to extract them to your desired location. I've tried a few different versions of 7-zip, and they all do it. I haven't tried all of them, so maybe there's a version that works properly.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 4, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this is a 7-zip bug? I thought it was related with Windows 98 SE.
I have tried several versions of 7-zip and all have the same annoying bug. WinZip 8.1 hasn't. but I prefer 7-zip.

Thanks for help.