VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I found a PCChips M571 based AT computer with a Pentium MMX 200 (with original fixed heatsink/fan), 64MB SDRAM, S3 Trio3D PCI and a Sound Blaster 16 PCI card. The board works (better with a ATX power supply) and it's a v3.2 one with 2,5V cpu written for lower value on the board.
Do you have any experience and info with this board? How much can I upgrade it? @ 2,5V can I try a K6-3 400-2.4@2.5v or it's better to try the K6-233 or maybe a K62-550@2.5 testing if the 83Mhz fsb will run on this rev board?
Also something about the ram: I upgraded to the latest 1999 bios, but still I can't upgrade to 256MB of SDRAM the maximun I get a mem reading is almost 200Mb (128+64) but if I put 2x128Mb it boot but read 0KB as extended memory.
Thank

Reply 1 of 9, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of these and it's actually very well documented. You can use K6-II and IIIs on it (except the II+ and III+), but you'd be overvolting them by a bit since they're either designed for 2.4 or 2.2v. There is a 2.2v jumper setting on these boards, but only for revisions 3.2a and 7.0. For the regular rev. 3.2 there is a mod you can do by soldering a resistor at a specified place to enable it. 83Mhz FSB is the maximum setting, not sure how stable it is. All the info can be found here:

http://m571.com/m571/

Reply 2 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A buddy of mine recently saved one of these boards from a recycler. He gave the board to me but it came without any of the brackets for on-board devices (e.g. sound, video, USB, serial etc). I took a look at the manual, and I think the video and audio connectors might be proprietary. Can anyone confirm this?

Obviously, I can just use a dedicated sound and video card, but I was hoping to experiment a bit with the on-board CMI8330 chip since it appears to support SB16, SBPro and WSS which is a rare combination.

P.S.

This website has some additional info and resources on the M571, in case it helps someone else: http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/techpage/html/m1.html

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 9, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran m569s/m571s for many years usually at 500mhz with a 2.2volt k6-2

If you “run” a k6-2 make sure you only use the pci/2 setting as async is unusable

There is a k6+ modded bios and a modded bios for 128gb support

The “video” is by its lonesome on a bracket and the audio on another, both are used on many pcchips all in one systems and yeah pcchips/amptron/elite group specific

Personally on AT motherboards I STRONGLY recommend the m569 bios over the m571 bios because you can use 256mb SDRAM
The m571 bios is extremely unstable with most sdram modules and can’t really use most modules larger than 64mb unless you use edo
The m571 system bios is also even more picky about the module used when you run the onboard video, what was strange is that the ram speed and ram quality/bus speed seemed to have less to do with it than chip count and the modules size. AKA A stable module would always work with any bus speed/memory timings an unstable one was always unstable no matter what bus or timing settings I used.

I also found that the m571 runs 83mhz rock stable especially if you use the slow onboard video with a fast compatible memory module, I’ve had mine overclocked as high as 105mhz by modding the clock crystal.

Good Luck

Reply 4 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-12-07, 00:08:

If you “run” a k6-2 make sure you only use the pci/2 setting as async is unusable

Cheers, will do. The board came with a K6-2 266. Strangely, it only has a passive heatsink, without a fan. Is this normal for that CPU?

The “video” is by its lonesome on a bracket and the audio on another, both are used on many pcchips all in one systems and yeah pcchips/amptron/elite group specific

Thanks! Good to know that it's just vendor specific and not completely unique to this particular motherboard at least. I'll see if I can get a replacement bracket.

Personally on AT motherboards I STRONGLY recommend the m569 bios over the m571 bios because you can use 256mb SDRAM
The m571 bios is extremely unstable with most sdram modules and can’t really use most modules larger than 64mb unless you use edo

Mine came with a single 64 MB PC100 SDRAM stick. Guess I'll try that first and see how things go. The version number on my board is 3.2A in case that matters.

The plan is to mostly use it as a pure DOS 6.22 machine, but I may temporarily install Win98 for testing the on-board sound card, if I manage to track down a replacement bracket. It advertises "HRTF 3D" which is probably implemented via Sensaura, and I'd like to check if that works.

The m571 system bios is also even more picky about the module used when you run the onboard video, what was strange is that the ram speed and ram quality/bus speed seemed to have less to do with it than chip count and the modules size.

Understood. I gather the on-board SiS video card is nothing special, so I'll likely disable it and stick a Virge DX in there or something. For pure DOS gaming, that should be enough.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 6 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the heatsink which came with the board is unusually tall, with widely spaced fins. Doesn't seem like it was meant to host a fan on top so I'm guessing the original computer must have had a case fan, as you say.

I'll try hunting down an active Socket 7 cooler somehow. Thanks for all your help!

Reply 7 of 9, by rodneyhchef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had one of these for years. The biggest problem I had with it was when using an add-in sound card. Even with the onboard disabled it seemed to somehow block the addresses for whatever card i tried to use. I never tried removing the main sound chip out of its socket, that may have worked

I had all sorts of CPUs in it up to k6/2 450. My board was rev 3.2A. Only seemed stable up to 75MHz FSB

I don’t think it was a good performing board as I had a 430vx which seemed to have much better memory performance even after some tweaks to the m571

Reply 8 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I ran m569s/m571s for many years usually at 500mhz with a 2.2volt k6-2 […]
Show full quote

The m571 system bios is also even more picky about the module used when you run the onboard video, what was strange is that the ram speed and ram quality/bus speed seemed to have less to do with it than chip count and the modules size. AKA A stable module would always work with any bus speed/memory timings an unstable one was always unstable no matter what bus or timing settings I used.

I also found that the m571 runs 83mhz rock stable especially if you use the slow onboard video with a fast compatible memory module, I’ve had mine overclocked as high as 105mhz by modding the clock crystal.

Good Luck

Hi, rmay635703! I have an Elpina BA E-VO (rebranded Pcchips M571) ver.3.2A motherboard from 1998 and it still works fine with Pentium, Pentium MMX or K6 processors. The board was with AMI BIOS version 05/06/1998. It recognizes only 64 MB RAM out of 128 SDRAM stick and have problem with large hard drives (tried 80 GB HDD with no luck). So I flashed this mobo with latest modified Jan Steunebrink's BIOS and now it supports K6-2+/III+ and it is with newer VGA BIOS ver.1.13, but the problems with SDRAM sticks bigger than 64 MB and big hard drives (> 8 GB ?) remains.

I couldn't find information or BIOS for the Pcchips M569 motherboard. I've also read in another topic here that there is modded BIOS for the M571 3.2A which solves SDRAM problem, but I could'n find such a BIOS either. The problem with HDD is not a big deal, but I want to solve the problem with RAM > 64 MB. Can you share this BIOS for the M569 board, please?

I'm also interested in this 100 MHz FSB mod. Which crystal oscillator I've to change (bigger one 14.31818 MHz or smaller one near the ISA slot) and with what value?

P.S. Sorry for the "necroposting", but I don't wanna start a new topic for the same PCchips M571 ver.3.2A motherboard.

P.P.S. In a coincidence yesterday (today is 7th of September) one of my four favorite retro computer's YT-channels published video with the very same Pcchips M571 ver.3.2A mobo - cheers, Tony359! Unfortunately Tony totally ignored the M571 motherboard in favor of the other, unknown to me, board (obviously he knows not of a much of '90s hardware, but if he wants he can learn fast 😀 ) and so there was no useful info about BIOS upgrades/mods, etc. for this Pcchips board. Sadly in the comments to this video there is no useful info for M571 either.

Last edited by analog_programmer on 2023-09-08, 00:05. Edited 1 time in total.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 9 of 9, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-06, 05:24:
Hi, rmay635703! I have an Elpina BA E-VO (rebranded Pcchips M571) ver.3.2A motherboard from 1998 and it still works fine with Pe […]
Show full quote
I ran m569s/m571s for many years usually at 500mhz with a 2.2volt k6-2 […]
Show full quote

Good Luck

Hi, rmay635703! I have an Elpina BA E-VO (rebranded Pcchips M571) ver.3.2A motherboard from 1998 and it still works fine with Pentium, Pentium MMX or K6 processors. The board was with AMI BIOS version 05/06/1998. It recognizes only 64 MB RAM out of 128 SDRAM stick and have problem with large hard drives (tried 80 GB HDD with no luck). So I flashed this mobo with latest modified Jan Steunebrink's BIOS and now it supports K6-2+/III+ and it is with newer VGA BIOS ver.1.13, but the problems with SDRAM sticks bigger than 64 MB and big hard drives (> 8 GB ?) remains.

I couldn't find information or BIOS for the Pcchips M569 motherboard. I've also read in another topic here that there is modded BIOS for the M571 3.2A which solves SDRAM problem, but I could'n find such a BIOS either. The problem with HDD is not a big deal, but I want to solve the problem with RAM > 64 MB. Can you share this BIOS for the M569 board, please?

I'm also interested in this 100 MHz FSB mod. Which crystal oscillator I've to change (bigger one 14.31818 MHz or smaller one near the ISA slot) and with what value?

P.S. Sorry for the "necroposting", but I don't wanna start a new topic for the same PCchips M571 ver.3.2A motherboard.

P.P.S. In a coincidence yesterday (today is 7th of September) one of my four favorite retro computer's YT-channels published video with the very same Pcchips M571 ver.3.2A mobo - cheers, Tony359! Unfortunately Tony totally ignored the M571 motherboard in favor of the other, unknown to me, board (obviously he knows not of a much of '90s hardware, but if he wants he can learn fast 😀 ) and so there was no useful info about BIOS upgrades/mods, etc. for this Pcchips board. Sadly in the comments to this video there is no useful info for M751 either.

Are you sure about model? Maybe it's M596 ? But M596 is ATX and a its super i/o chip is different
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/?chipset … 93&showImages=1

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]