VOGONS

First post, by YourOld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I want to build a machine that will run most of old games from DOS and maybe Win 95/98. I have listed core basis of my future build project that must be all fulfilled:

1. 100% native support for games (no emulation, no virtual machines!!!!!)
2. DOS or Windows 98 and appropriate parts for handling old games
3. Compact size (very important - it need to be really small, like „modern”
Dell’s SFF Computers or netbook)
4. Physical FDD and CD
5. Support for sound + PC speaker

I found 2 solutions:
1. Build a PC - best option for me BUT problem is to find any tiny motherboard - according to Wiki, mITX was introduced in 2001, so probably it’s all to new for my build (that cause big problem with drivers for older OS even like Win 98).
OR
2. Buy an old small laptop - not the best option, but I can remove standard screen for save some space BUT probably parts will be not so good as in a PC and some features could be missing like connection for PCI SoundBlaster card

Any suggestions, ideas, links? Thank you

Reply 1 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look for an industrial PC with 486-ish CPU (Vortex86...) and at least one ISA slot.

That said, a CDRom drive will bump up the size a lot, particularly when combined with a real FDD. If you don't want a regular AT minitower, why insist on those things which are a royal PITA at best?

If you really insist, then a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF first revision (Slot 1 with onboard ESS1869 audio and ATi Rage Pro video, usually shipped with P2, but P3 Katmai-capable) is probably your smallest workable and relatively easily findable option.

See a video about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX650IcuIK4

If you're not happy with Rage Pro VESA compatibility, you can stick an S3 PCI card onto the riser, and there's an ISA slot if you want other sound (although the ESS1869 is basically SBPro2.0 without the Creative Bugs, so as good as it gets for most DOS stuff)

Alternative would be a 'modern' mITX case with CD *and* FDD options (good luck with the latter...) and a Via Epia mITX board with a VT8231 or older southbridge with DOS driver support for the onboard audio. The video is Via UniChrome, which is basically an S3 Savage, so decent enough for DOS. Downside here is performance (the Epia is a cut-down Via C3, which has far lower performance per MHz than P2/P3, and suffers from memory bandwidth due to having to share it with the integrated VGA) and expandability (one PCI slot).

Reply 2 of 13, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’d look close at some of the following clients: hp t5710 (800 MHz version) , Wyse WT941GXL, or Wyse WT9450XE. Those are all via chipsets where the onboard audio has dos support.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 13, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a thread on Vogons with some cool examples.

And this is how an industrial mini-PC dionb has mentioned can look like (this particular one even inspired me to try retro-SFF in the first place).

I also use a compact retro rig (see link in the forum signature), but it's for pre-installed games/CD-images only, so no drives.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 4 of 13, by Whelmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CnqyjDo.jpg

A couple versions of those Unisys machines exist that are quite small. FIC also seems to have made them as well, branded as the Leo data books. (it's possible FIC made them and Unisys was just rebranding them, they all use custom FIC made motherboards)

The 486 CWD 4002 version and the later 5001 Pentium version. a year later they made the Aquanta series and folded the Pentium version into that lineup renamed as the Aquanta SC with up to a 166mhz version for sale.

The 486 offered one ISA slot.

The Pentium had one ISA as well as PCI but only one slot on the rear. The Pentium version also had a tiny network card on a second slot on the inside that appears to be exactly the same slot that the ISA/PCI riser card sits in (EISA or PISA?), so it may be possible to actually put an ISA card into that slot (half height sound card?) and then use the PCI slot for a video card upgrade as an idea, no idea if anyone who owns one has tried this.

unisys-cwd-model-5001-proprietary-isa-ports.jpg

unisys-cwd-model-5001-riser-front.jpg

a more in depth topic on these machines http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?t=20276

Reply 5 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIA C3 and VIA C7 mini-ITX mainboards work fine with DOS/98 and meet all your requirements. I'm using an EPIA board which works great with native drivers (I even have a 2x PCI riser for Voodoo II SLI). There's also the Commell LV-603 which is a socket 370 w/ Windows 98 drivers. A lot of industrial ITX boards have DOS through 98 drivers available. Half-ISA SBC computers are also a good choice. I have a 486 SBC and a Pentium MMX SBC computer. Both are smaller than an ITX size PC. Yet another option is to use something like a Toshiba Libretto (with docking station). I just picked one up and it works with DOS and Windows 98, even has OPL3 sound. Yet another option is older Shuttle XPC's.. they support Windows 98 native. Then of course you can get into more modern PC's and thin clients which have drivers available.

But, the only real problem with some of the native hardware stuff is getting DOS sound working under certain games, or trying to get a slow enough clock speed. The Pentium MMX is one of the better choices so you can use SETMUL to change clock speeds on the fly.

pics:

(large by ITX case standards, but you could cram this into something much smaller without graphics cards)
Pj5X09Dl.jpg
7bVR9vPl.jpg

n87XWEIl.jpg

QcQHSnVl.jpg

rK6k2gKl.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 6 of 13, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16856101226
I put a aureal vortex because the win98 drivers are bad.
I really wanted put my v3 2000 but the pci slot is broken
Still a good choice for later dos and 3d games until 2000 (the onboard vga is just a "powerfull intel740") and has SATA support.
Unreal run very fast than my main retro rig (p3 550 +gf2 mx).

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 7 of 13, by YourOld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, I want to thank all of you for fast and comprehensive replies at the same time.

I need to think about all options mentioned here. Maybe I need to change some establishments, because there is so many good solutions for my project that changed my mind and invites me to try different approaches. Some small cases shown here are not only functional, but just gorgeous.

dionb wrote:

That said, a CDRom drive will bump up the size a lot, particularly when combined with a real FDD.

Good statement. If there is an option, maybe it's better to do setup without physical drives and connect them as external devices? Maybe via USB port? Compaq Deskpro EN SFF is a decent option, but still it looks a little too big for my vision of mini PC. Best it should have more like PSX or PS2 console dimensions, of course then without CD and FDD drives. With these, dims should be smaller imo than 300x300x100.

BinaryDemon wrote:

I’d look close at some of the following clients: hp t5710 (800 MHz version) , Wyse WT941GXL, or Wyse WT9450XE. Those are all via chipsets where the onboard audio has dos support.

Wyse WT941GXL looks like a good option with physical drives.

Revolter wrote:

this is how an industrial mini-PC dionb has mentioned can look like (this particular one even inspired me to try retro-SFF in the first place).
I also use a compact retro rig (see link in the forum signature), but it's for pre-installed games/CD-images only, so no drives.

I'm impressed by this industrial mini-PC build! Looks so clean and nice - one of last photos there is even version with physical FDD. But I should be good with the standard one + external FDD/CD, if this is the case. Your build is also charming (and that peripherials - Fujitsu keyboard / MS mouse tho!)

Whelmy wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/CnqyjDo.jpg A couple versions of those Unisys machines exist that are quite small. […]
Show full quote

CnqyjDo.jpg
A couple versions of those Unisys machines exist that are quite small.

That Unisys looks really cool and quite small. If this slot works, this should be nice option for me.

wiretap wrote:

VIA C3 and VIA C7 mini-ITX mainboards work fine with DOS/98 and meet all your requirements. I'm using an EPIA board which works great with native drivers (I even have a 2x PCI riser for Voodoo II SLI). There's also the Commell LV-603 which is a socket 370 w/ Windows 98 drivers. A lot of industrial ITX boards have DOS through 98 drivers available. Half-ISA SBC computers are also a good choice. I have a 486 SBC and a Pentium MMX SBC computer. Both are smaller than an ITX size PC. Yet another option is to use something like a Toshiba Libretto (with docking station). I just picked one up and it works with DOS and Windows 98, even has OPL3 sound. Yet another option is older Shuttle XPC's.. they support Windows 98 native. Then of course you can get into more modern PC's and thin clients which have drivers available.

I couldn't find any mITX boards that should work with Win98 before (cause of drivers). These options are really solid.

wiretap wrote:

But, the only real problem with some of the native hardware stuff is getting DOS sound working under certain games, or trying to get a slow enough clock speed. The Pentium MMX is one of the better choices so you can use SETMUL to change clock speeds on the fly.

Yeah, I heard about this problem. Maybe later on I return to this topic.

MKT_Gundam wrote:

Case is too big for my needs, but thank you for sharing. Thank you all.

Now I need to know that I can plug external FDD's/CD's to this hardware with Windows 98, or maybe even with DOS...

Reply 8 of 13, by aka286dos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

The hp t5710 I have does not have onboard audio w/ dos support: HP t5710 thin client thoughts - I think they removed it.

Reply 10 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tip: thin clients (or anything) with the VIA 82c686b southbridge will have excellent DOS sound compatibility and good Win98 support too. No need for an ISA slot. It's usually found on Kx133/PLE133/sometimes Kx266 chipsets & paired with Socket 370 VIA C3 CPUs or Celerons.

I have one of these Termtek TK-3350 thin clients based on said chipset. It makes a perfect tiny DOS machine; compatibility is pretty good & the onboard video is really decent for DOS stuff. The 533MHz VIA C3 is roughly on par with 266MHz PII in 3D games. I originally had an IDE laptop hard drive installed through a bunch of adapters, but since it died I'm just running JoJo's "PC/DOS MINI" image off a USB stick plugged into the front.

The BIOS will map USB memory sticks, floppy drives, or CD/DVD drives to drive letters for non-USB-aware OSes (e.g. DOS) and you can boot off them.

thin1.png
Filename
thin1.png
File size
474.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Best of all, it has a standard IEC C14 jack for mains power on the back; you don't even need an external power brick. Great little box.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 11 of 13, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love that acrylic case blak baron posted here:

Retro Rig Photo Thread

It's very expensive though, so I searched for something more ordinary (iron, no handle) with same/similar interior layout, but I've found nothing 😮
Do you know anything similar? It is really smallest atx case I've ever seen...

Reply 12 of 13, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wolfus wrote:
I love that acrylic case blak baron posted here: […]
Show full quote

Retro Rig Photo Thread

It's very expensive though, so I searched for something more ordinary (iron, no handle) with same/similar interior layout, but I've found nothing 😮

Wolfus, Cooler Master Elite 360 is a close match:

http://heliograph.ru/images/691722_cooler-mas … r-elite-360.jpg

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 13 of 13, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Revolter wrote:
Wolfus wrote:
I love that acrylic case blak baron posted here: […]
Show full quote

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Wolfus, Cooler Master Elite 360 is a close match:

http://heliograph.ru/images/691722_cooler-mas … r-elite-360.jpg

Yeah, CM E 360 and 361 are pretty similar, but they are sold out without replacement 🙁