VOGONS

First post, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Have a 486 laptop, works good. Want to upgrade ram from 4mb to higher something. Only way is to use this ram shown in attached picture. What type of ram is this and what type of connection port are those. Need to know so I can properly search for it on internet. Please pay attention to it's connection ports.

Attachments

Last edited by mhdbox385 on 2019-04-18, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Without telling what brand and type of notebook it is we can search for days.
If you can supply those then we can give you more info.
Atleast half the 486 notebooks use proprietary connectors for RAM so it will be tricky.

Reply 2 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Long story short; You are S.O.L.

Your only hope is to make an ebay saved search and buy a whole 2nd laptop with the amount of ram you want.

Is it possible to find a loose memory stick like that? Oh yes. People hit the lotto all the time, and it would most likely be easier to hit the lotto and pay someone to make you a new one.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 8, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually there is one other way - PCMCIA "credit card" RAM made by Kingston Technolgies. Early IBM Thinkpads used them, as well as some of the early Compaq LTE C/CX line.

Attachments

• prod_9446022620.jpg
    Filename
    prod_9446022620.jpg
    File size
    6.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bump. I happened to come across some pics of this type of SIMM, it's from a Dell 433C 1994-vintage laptop.

Not that that will suddenly make the modules appear, but at least you know what to look for. In future it would help a lot if you give this kind of info when opening a topic...

Reply 7 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mhdbox385 wrote:

The computer I need it for is a laptop from now defunc german company Tulip, model is Tulip nb 486sx. Has 4mb ram, upgradable to 8mb or 20mb by using this type of ram.

Tulip wasn't a German company but a Dutch one. That means if you're going to find your Tulip-branded RAM anywhere, best odds are in NL. There is still a (marginally functional) Tulip users group in the Netherlands, with their own classified ads. The site is in Dutch, but people can read English too. Unfortunately the good news ends there, there are no memory modules for sale and already people looking for the exact ones you need:
http://www.tulipgv.nl/advertentie.html
(or could it be you already found that site and that is your ad?)

Tbh, I'd suggest looking into Dell 433C memory. Chances are it's exactly the same (and that both laptops come from the same (Taiwanese?) ODM) and that there are a lot more Dell laptops out there than Tulip ones.