VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want Windows to "forget" a driver that was previously installed you need to remove the .INF file. Under NT 3.51 they are located in SYSTEM32 (unlike newer Windows that has an INF directory). I don't know what the file will be called but it should be a copy of the .INF from the Xircom disk.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 41 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for your suggestion. I was unable to find any INF that has Xircom in the title. I've attached a listing of the INF files from /System32.

INF_files_NT351_system32.png
Filename
INF_files_NT351_system32.png
File size
192.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've also attached a screenshot of what the Network Setup looks like when selecting a new adapter. There are two Xircom Pocket Ethernet III listings, but both of them ask me for the Xircom Setup Disk. Actually, when I first Add for either of the Xircom Pocket Ethernet III listings, Setup asks me for the NT Disc, but immediately after I hit OK to use the NT setup disc, it asks for the Xircom setup disk files. It doesn't even try to take the files from the CD-ROM. Refer to the attachments.

Network_Setup_Adapters.PNG
Filename
Network_Setup_Adapters.PNG
File size
26.31 KiB
Views
File license
Network_Setup_Adapters_Confusion_1.PNG
Filename
Network_Setup_Adapters_Confusion_1.PNG
File size
25.02 KiB
Views
File license
Network_Setup_Adapters_Confusion_2.PNG
Filename
Network_Setup_Adapters_Confusion_2.PNG
File size
27.53 KiB
Views
File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tested the Xircom Pocket Ethernet III in Windows 95c on my 486 using the Xircom disk drivers. This Xircom LPT-to-Ethernet adapter works.

Using LAN Speed test (20 MB file) to benchmark the adapter, going to my Opteron 185 system, I get:

Xircom to Opteron
Write: 2.1 mbps
Read: 6.8 mbps

Also, using the Intel Ethernet Express 10/100 ISA card on the same system, I get:

Intel ISA to Opteron (Win95c)
Write: 11.9 mbps
Read: 6.5 mbps

Same as above, but using NT4 instead of Win95c.

Intel ISA to Opteron (WinNT 4.0)
Write: 17 mbps
Read: 7.1 mbps

I also tried to use the Win95c default drivers for the Xircom, but they did not work. I needed to use the Xircom disk drivers to get the unit working. I'm guessing the same is true of using the Xircom in NT 3.51, so... I'm stuck at:

STOP
Unable to create Services subkey in Registry
and
Unable to access Services subkey in Registry

Reply 43 of 46, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your suggestion. I was unable to find any INF that has Xircom in the title. I've attached a listing of the INF files from /System32.

You have to look at the contents of the file in a text editor or compare the size/date with the original file from the Xircom disk. It looks like Windows renames the .INF for network adaptors to OEMNAD?.INF so it's probably one of these files

oemnad0.inf
oemnad1.inf
oemnad2.inf
oemnad3.inf
oemnad4.inf
oemnad5.inf
oemnad6.inf
oemnad7.inf
oemnad8.inf

To get to the bottom of that error about creating a registry key, it would also be helpful to look inside the .INF file. See what key it's trying to create and for what purpose, and maybe test whether you can create it manually with the registry editor.

Reply 44 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid that I'm not familiar enough with programming for inf files to locate the afflicting part of the script. Perhaps someone who comes across this thread with a similar program can follow your advice there. I've attached the Xircom OEMSETNT.inf file, renamed to *.txt so it can be uploaded.

I was able to locate which files in /system32 are the Xircom oemsetnt.inf files, they are OEMNAD7.inf and OEMNAD8.inf. Do I only need to delete these files?

Attachments

• Filename
    OEMSETNT.txt
    File size
    38.83 KiB
    Downloads
    28 downloads
    File license

Reply 45 of 46, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid that I'm not familiar enough with programming for inf files to locate the afflicting part of the script. Perhaps someone who comes across this thread with a similar program can follow your advice there. I've attached the Xircom OEMSETNT.inf file, renamed to *.txt so it can be uploaded.

It is indeed pretty confusing. The .INF for a network adaptor looks very different from most other ones, and I don't see that the text of the error message appears in there anywhere. (Plus the names of registry keys are only referred to indirectly with variables)

I was able to locate which files in /system32 are the Xircom oemsetnt.inf files, they are OEMNAD7.inf and OEMNAD8.inf. Do I only need to delete these files?

Yes.

Reply 46 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did look thru the inf file for the error string, but also didn't find out. I'm giving up on NT 3.51 + LAN + NexGen for now. I'll have to be content with Win95c + LAN + NexGen, with the NT 3.51 partition being LAN-less. The two partitions cannot see each other (FAT32 and NTFS), so my only means of transfering large files is LS-120 SuperDisk. The CD-ROM on the NexGen cannot read CD-RW, so, SuperDisk it has to be.