VOGONS

First post, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or Dumpster or whatever that call it in your part of the world

I was just leaving the workshop today and driving away when I spotted a guy with what I instantly spotted as an old tower PC in a shopping trolley together with some other stuff. He was pushing it up the hill and I know that there are a load of waste skips up there.

So I swung the van round, wizzed round the block as it is a one-way system and got to the skips just as the guy had got there.

My spanish isn't brilliant (which is a bit embarrassing as I chose to live in the Canary Islands) but I pointed at the PC and said 'Basura?' He nodded so I asked if I could have it.

'Es Kapput' he says. 'No Problemo' i say. He was about to give the PC to me when he suddenly said.... No No... pointing at the PC - Informacion. I figured he meant data on the PC so another bit of Spanish I know. 'Disco Dura?' Si he says. So basically I got the PC but had to remove the Hard Drive. Weird as it was all about to go in the skip. Shame too as it was a WD Caviar 2850 850Mb and I just found out they are not cheap anymore

Also in the shopping trolley was the CRT Monitor and what looked like a Dot Matrix Printer. He asked if I wanted those as well but to be honest I don't need a CRT monitor, they have no second hand value on this island back water and are too heavy to take back on my regular trips to the UK where i sell stuff.

Anyway I realised when I opened the case this was indeed quite an old PC - a 486

So I now have the following

Mobo – Unknown?
CPU TX486DLC/E 40 MHz?
Maths Co Processor ULSI CX/DLC
8x 1Mbit SIMMS (two sets of 4 matching SIMMS)
VGA Card – Oak Technology - Model Unknown?
Multi IO CA8392-F - who made these?
Kingston KNE-2121H LAN 10 Mbit?
Sony 3.5 Floppy MP-517W-02
Sankyo 5.25” Floppy SM600
AT Tower – Unkown make/model - the lid slides forwards to come off, PSU is mounted at the bottom, which I thought was a bit unusual
Expen Tech 200W AT PSU

It's all looking good and clean inside. So I powered it up... and Yayyy she runs!! MAybe the CRT monitor or the hard drive were kapput. Problem is I don't have an AT keyboard to fully test it, I must buy one of those PS2-AT adaptors. Could also do with getting at least one or two 3.5" floppy disks (SD and HD) and also a 5.25" floppy disk so I can test the drives on these old machines.

Almost certainly I will split this lot up and sell in the UK as I am far more interested in win 95/98 era gaming and I have a Super Socket 7 that I can slow down in the Bios to play old DOS games for the main part. And the money raised could be reinvested into nice things (to me) like Voodoo cards etc as I have a couple of rigs i want to complete.

This thread would not be complete without pics.

best regards
Rich

Attachments

• sm20190129_155523.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_155523.jpg
    File size
    774.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • sm20190129_155503.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_155503.jpg
    File size
    770.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sm20190129_155455.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_155455.jpg
    File size
    643.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • oaksm20190129_155932.jpg
    Filename
    oaksm20190129_155932.jpg
    File size
    665.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • oaksm20190129_165438.jpg
    Filename
    oaksm20190129_165438.jpg
    File size
    183.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by dicky96 on 2019-01-29, 17:30. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More pics

Attachments

• sm20190129_163618.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_163618.jpg
    File size
    224.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sm20190129_160702.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_160702.jpg
    File size
    676.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sm20190129_155717.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_155717.jpg
    File size
    850.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 21, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

last few pics
What is that case with the AT PSU at the bottom? Anyone seen it before?

Attachments

• sm20190129_161129.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_161129.jpg
    File size
    415.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sm20190129_160859.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_160859.jpg
    File size
    467.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sm20190129_160841.jpg
    Filename
    sm20190129_160841.jpg
    File size
    461.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 21, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's 386DX motherboard with CPU upgraded to 486DLC. Very nice setup if you ask me 😁

For HDD just use CF2IDE adapter and some small CF card.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a bottom mounted AT PSU in my AT P133 PC.

AIDATAP133-01.jpg AIDATAP133-02.jpg

I also thought it was very unique at first, but it seems some chassis at the time were built modular enough to be fitted either way depending on the faceplate and interior arrangement.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The case is what I always refer to as an 'upside-down' design, they were popular for a few years right at the beginning of the 1990s. It's pretty much a regular AT minitower, but with the feet on the side that would otherwise be the top. Can't say I ever found them any more or less infuriating than regular AT minitowers - always cramped & nasty to work in.

Btw, those SIMMs are almost certainly 1MB (Byte), not 1Mb (bit) each; 1Mb = 128kB and not a 'logical' size - single-sided SIMMs (both 30p and 72p) tend to be available in multiples of four, so 16MB, 4MB, 1MB and 256kB. Never seen them, but 64kB would be the logical next smallest size, not 128kB/1Mb. Watch the capitalization when it comes to memory or you get lost very quickly (particularly as chip density is expressed in bits and module size in Bytes).

VGA Card – Oak Technology - Model Unknown?

Model generally not very relevant. This is an ancient OTI-037 design, which is nice and compatible, but glacially slow, making even a Trident TVGA8900B seem zippy by comparison.

Multi IO CA8392-F - who made these?

Your photograph of the front has an FCC ID on it, IATCA8392. You can search on the FCC site and find it was made by Co Time Computer Ltd. That must help a lot 😜

What does help, is googling on the FCC product code (everything after the IAT grantee code), as that gives you this link with jumper settings:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … ves-CA8391.html

Unless you want to disable specific functionality you generally don't need to set too much, you just enable/disable the various interfaces with the jumpers and the motherboard BIOS handles the rest, just set drives & interfaces as if they were onboard.

Kingston KNE-2121H LAN 10 Mbit?

Yep, 10MbE with a nice AMD chip. When it comes to ISA stuff, 3Com's Etherlink III is unsurpassed for both driver support in any OS on earth and very good performance, but close on its heels in both fields are chips from Intel, AMD and Digital. They perform significantly better (and with lower CPU use!) than generic NE2000 (NS8390)/WD8013 chips within the limitations of an ISA platform. Note that AMD Lance chips (like this one) can be a bit touchy when it comes to resources (DMA!)

Reply 8 of 21, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Based on the BIOS ID string, your motherboard was manufactured by Seritech.
Seems like another user here on Vogons has the same motherboard (80386 BIOS image collection) but, you will notice that the 386DX-40 chip is soldered onto that motherboard. Yours has the PGA socket.
I agree with AlaricD that he has correctly identified your motherboard (here's another link to a site I normally use: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/S-T/32373.htm).

Although your interest might be in Windows 95/98 games, I would hang onto this PC. You never know when your interests might shift one day to older games and PC technology. I also used to be just interested in the 386 to Pentium 1 era but, over the past 2 years, I became quite interested in XT PC's as well and have built up quite a collection.

When you disable the L1 cache on the 486DLC CPU (there are utilities available - refer https://www.philscomputerlab.com/cyrix-486dlc.html) then you basically have a 386DX-40 and, with the turbo switch off and/or disabling the L2 cache on the motherboard, you can slow down this PC to 286 speeds. Great for playing some of those older classics. I would perhaps try and source a nice 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound card.

I would also hang onto that 16-bit NIC (LAN card). It has a Boot ROM socket and, with a flashed image of the XT-IDE BIOS on an EEPROM chip, you can actually boot up with the NIC and use much larger capacity hard drives and/or compact flash cards. You will most likely find that the BIOS has a 528 MB (504 MiB) size limitation.

I would also desolder that battery before it starts to leak all over the motherboard. Consider yourself fortunate that it hasn't leaked yet. It does have an external battery header that you can use.

Reply 9 of 21, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much guys for all the info and the comments. I am primarily interested in Win 95/98 gaming rigs at the moment and have a couple of projects on the go. However I can appreciate the advice here and it's starting to sound like I found a bit of a gem here - It would be stupid to ignore good advice so for now I will keep it. Damn I should have had the monitor and printer as well 😵

I have other hardware I am selling to help fund completing the other rigs and it's not like i need to sell this right now.

TBH It was only by pure chance and a sharp eye that this didn't end up in the trash today.

Actually I'm quite interested in getting it fired up and running, gotta find an AT keyboard or at least a PS2 -AT adapter. I did notice that one of the chips on the mobo says it is the keyboard controller. Would that only work properly with a Spanish keyboard layout or was the key map set by software even in the early 90s?

The Hard Drive I didn't get was a Caviar 850MB I'm sure. Oh and yes I meant 1MByte Simms not 1 Mbit.

I could do with getting some floppy disks to test the drives but even disks seem to be a bit pricey these days. I guess this would run DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1? How would I load DOS? I remember when USB first came out and we called it 'Useless Serial Bus' but it feels weird not to have it on a PC now!

Hmm looks like I'm the proud owner of a 486. This is from around 1992/3?

Reply 11 of 21, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:

When you disable the L1 cache on the 486DLC CPU (there are utilities available - refer https://www.philscomputerlab.com/cyrix-486dlc.html) then you basically have a 386DX-40 and, with the turbo switch off and/or disabling the L2 cache on the motherboard, you can slow down this PC to 286 speeds. Great for playing some of those older classics.

So the Texas 486DLC is a Cyrix 486DLC?

Rich

Reply 12 of 21, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dicky96 wrote:

Yes.

The TI 486SXL is also largely the same except it has an 8KB, 2-way set-associative cache.

Reply 13 of 21, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlaricD wrote:
dicky96 wrote:

Yes.

The TI 486SXL is also largely the same except it has an 8KB, 2-way set-associative cache.

I think this article provides for some good background info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrix_Cx486DLC

Reply 14 of 21, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dicky96 wrote:

I could do with getting some floppy disks to test the drives but even disks seem to be a bit pricey these days. I guess this would run DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1? How would I load DOS? I remember when USB first came out and we called it 'Useless Serial Bus' but it feels weird not to have it on a PC now!

I'm sure there are fellow collectors in the UK that are willing part with a couple of floppy disks (both 1.44 MB & 1.2 MB). However, on a 386/486 based PC like this, you don't really need 1.2 MB disks anymore but, keep the drive anyway.
Once you've managed to find a suitable replacement for a hard drive (either another one or, a CF or SD card with the appropriate adapter), you will then have to try and obtain a bootable floppy disk to boot DOS 6.22 (you can also go the GoTek floppy drive route - refer: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/gotek-floppy-emulator.html & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtNeYpbGzI)
Once you've booted DOS 6.22, then it's merely a matter of running FDISK, partitioning & formatting your hard drive. Just take note of the FAT16 partition size limitations (2.1 GB) and that your BIOS might also have a hard drive size limitation (which you can overcome with the XT-IDE BIOS on your NIC).

dicky96 wrote:

More like late 1993 (based on your BIOS date).

Reply 15 of 21, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dicky96 wrote:

... This is from around 1992/3?

Seems like it's all over the place, really. The motherboard and CPU/FPU carry 1994 date codes, the I/O and VGA cards look to be from 1991, the NIC appears to have been made in 1993, and the AC2850 HDD you didn't receive was available around 1995~1996. I can imagine the machine started as a 286 or something and was slowly upgraded piecemeal over the following few years.

Reply 16 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dicky96 wrote:

Thank you very much guys for all the info and the comments. I am primarily interested in Win 95/98 gaming rigs at the moment and have a couple of projects on the go. However I can appreciate the advice here and it's starting to sound like I found a bit of a gem here - It would be stupid to ignore good advice so for now I will keep it. Damn I should have had the monitor and printer as well 😵

Whatever you do, don't go running Win95 on here. It will technically work, but be about as enjoyable as watching paint dry 😉

It's not a unicorn you have there, but definitely a little gem, at least the motherboard (and the NICs not bad either). I'd agree with jesolo about the sound card. I'd also recommend a different VGA card (just about any different VGA card...). As for HDD, the 850MB tells us that the BIOS can handle up to 2GB, which is unusual with 386 boards like this. Of course XT-IDE can help, but native flexibility is always good.

Actually I'm quite interested in getting it fired up and running, gotta find an AT keyboard or at least a PS2 -AT adapter. I did notice that one of the chips on the mobo says it is the keyboard controller. Would that only work properly with a Spanish keyboard layout or was the key map set by software even in the early 90s?

90% software (and 10% VGA BIOS for the fonts if you want odd characters). Run default DOS without any keyboard drivers and it will default to US.

Get a boot disk, boot from disk. Agreed with the Gotek if you want to do this sort of thing more often, but a USB floppy drive to hook up to a modern system isn't a bad solution either. Expect ~50% of floppies to be dead, btw, so don't buy just one 😮

More like a 386 on steroids - which would put many early 486 systems to shame.

Reply 17 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dicky96 wrote:

last few pics
What is that case with the AT PSU at the bottom? Anyone seen it before?

I really like that case.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18 of 21, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want a pretty easy way to transfer data in between a modern computer and any old PC with an ISA slot, you should look for an ISA LAN adapter. I just installed an Intel EtherLink 16TP in my 286 machine, and set it up to act as a local FTP server. You can find instructions on how do do this here: https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP.html
That software runs on any PC all the way back to the original IBM 5150!
Another option that I have utilized is the laplink cable. Just search up "Parallel port data transfer cable" and you should find one. Basically it just links two computers together (as long as they have parallel ports) and allows them to directly transfer data. It works of the dos commands "interlnk" and "intersvr".

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 19 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

If you want a pretty easy way to transfer data in between a modern computer and any old PC with an ISA slot, you should look for an ISA LAN adapter.

Well, look no further! There's one already in the box! 😎

I will agree with others here. This is a DOS box. Win95 would run on it -- my dad installed it on his 386DX/33 with 8MB RAM back in August of '95, so it works. It's just not terribly fast. The productivity gains aren't worth it, since you have other devices to use. And it won't be much of a '95 games PC. So stick with DOS.

Win 3.1 is a neat nostalgia trip, but unless you have something you want to run, don't bother. Finding drivers and getting them to work is a pain. Things SURE HAVE CHANGED since then! For ISA boards, you're just as likely to find drivers written for the chip you have, but not the board. And since there are no PCI IDs to use as a compatibility key, it means lots of freeze-ups during loading, or garbled screens, or generally flaky behavior. Also, the driver management back then was outstandingly primitive. No res / refresh rate controls at all. You want 800x600? You get an 800x600 driver. What refresh rate is that going to be running at? Who knows. Could depend on the driver, could depend on a DIP switch, could be baked into the chipset. It was a simpler time, when monitors came in two flavors -- those that could do 1024x768, and those that could do 1024x768 non-interlaced. And those that couldn't do it at all. OK, that's three.