VOGONS

First post, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to get a serial mouse working on my 286 machine, but it is not recognizing anything connected to the serial ports.
So far I have tried:
1: removing all non-essential cards from the system to eliminate possible conflicts
2: swapping out serial controller for various other ISA serial controllers I had laying around (none of them worked in this system)
3: tried different serial port backing plates/case mounted ports
4: double checked if serial port cables were plugged in backwards, they are not.
5: verified that my serial mouse works in another computer

The system recognizes that there are serial ports, but they just don't seem to work. When I ran the onboard American Megatrends communications diagnostic utility with the test adapter plugged in, it timed out on both serial ports.
Neither a mouse or null modem works.
I am thourgholly stumped at this point, it is as if this motherboard just has some deep-seated resentment against comm ports.
Any suggestions? system specs and photos below.

Sorry about the rotated pictures, Imagur decided to randomly flip them for some random reason.

System specs:
Intel 80286 - no math coprocessor
640k base ram, 360k extended
Generic 286 motherboard w/ built in American Megatrends BIOS setup and Diagnostics utilities
IBM CGA video card (from PC-XT)
Acculogic sIDE-3/PLUS IDE/floppy controller
Unbranded? Parallel/Gameport/Dual Serial controller
MS-DOS 6.22
Microsoft Serial Mouse w/ Serial mouse driver

Motherboard
c7MjfNqm.jpg

IDE/floppy controller
QpsgDFlm.jpg

IBM CGA card
1XDQELhm.jpg

Serial/parallel/gameport interface card
LaBlbxVm.jpg

Built in Diagnostics utility results
wztZYAEm.jpg

Last edited by dkarguth on 2019-02-05, 20:06. Edited 1 time in total.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 1 of 3, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two different pinouts for the serial header, so maybe you're trying to use the wrong kind of "breakout cable" (I don't find a better term for it now). Best way to find out is checking for GND at pin 5 on your DB9 connector - if it's not there, you're using the wrong kind. With a bit of work it can be rewired, more info here.

Reply 2 of 3, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well what do you know! I had no idea that there were multiple serial port cable pinouts. Odd that I don't have the matching pair of serial connectors to go with that card, though. I am going to make an adapter and then report the results.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 3, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jank adapter complete and working!
(don't point out my bad soldering, I had to rewire it twice because I'm dumb and can't read pinout diagrams)

16DwUhch.jpg
FeFrKfVl.jpg