VOGONS

First post, by metrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I recently got a case that I want to use for a 286 system, the motherboard has a turbo SW pin that I've connected from the case.
But my problems are I can't seem to change the MHZ display on the front of the case (currently set to 200)
I would like to set to LOW or HIGH, anyway here is the picture of the jumper settings. Anyone know the diagram for it?

zihbGB0.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

( I,C,H ) go to motherboard Turbo pin connector
(G-ground ,5v-volt ) go to a 5volt power source.

Attachments

• zihbGB0-002.jpg
    Filename
    zihbGB0-002.jpg
    File size
    575.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 10, by metrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

( I,C,H ) go to motherboard Turbo pin connector
(G-ground ,5v-volt ) go to a 5volt power source.

Yes I have those connected but I want to know if there's a diagram to change the LED display on a case

Reply 3 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks like it's three digit. Each digit will be set by seven blocks (A though G) of jumpers corresponding to standard labeling with A being the top segment continuing clockwise to F in the top left and G in the middle. For each block, you can connect the messenger pin to one, two, or three turning on that segment only with turbo off, with turbo on, or both (respectively). To have that segment off under all conditions, leave the messenger pin unconnected.

In your above shot, all jumpers are between messenger pins and pin 3, so there will be no change between turbo and deturbo. One digit has segments B and C lit (either 'I' or number 1). Another has A, B, C, D, and G lit (number 3), as does the third.

More info here:
MHz display panel circuity ???

The first digit is a bit of a strange duck as it appears the G segment can only be on with deturbo (according to the label), but I suggest you test it to be sure.

Anyway, 200 should look something like this:
wTUPzpFl.png

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 10, by metrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
That looks like it's three digit. Each digit will be set by seven blocks (A though G) of jumpers corresponding to standard label […]
Show full quote

That looks like it's three digit. Each digit will be set by seven blocks (A though G) of jumpers corresponding to standard labeling with A being the top segment continuing clockwise to F in the top left and G in the middle. For each block, you can connect the messenger pin to one, two, or three turning on that segment only with turbo off, with turbo on, or both (respectively). To have that segment off under all conditions, leave the messenger pin unconnected.

In your above shot, all jumpers are between messenger pins and pin 3, so there will be no change between turbo and deturbo. One digit has segments B and C lit (either 'I' or number 1). Another has A, B, C, D, and G lit (number 3), as does the third.

More info here:
MHz display panel circuity ???

The first digit is a bit of a strange duck as it appears the G segment can only be on with deturbo (according to the label), but I suggest you test it to be sure.

Anyway, 200 should look something like this:
wTUPzpFl.png

The picture I posted actually displays 133 (not 200), I'll try the jumper settings you posted and see what results I get.

Reply 5 of 10, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually found a NOS never used mini AT tower case at a local electronics surplus store for 5 bucks a couple of weeks ago. It came with this chart to set the jumpers:

8kMcXGd.jpg

I understand that this has already been explained, but I am going to see if I can explain it a little clearer.

To use the matrix, you first figure out what numbers you want the display to show when the computer is on normal, and then which ones when the computer is in turbo mode.

For example, let's say that you want it to display "06" when on normal, and "12" when on turbo. Now look at the top chart. It shows a display of all the labels for the pins. The top half of the 15x4 pin matrix is for the one's place, and the bottom is for the 10's place. Each jumper has one side in the letter space, and the other side in one of 3 positions. Think of them as a rotary knob, they basically rotate into one of 3 positions around the letter "hub".
To set the one's place, you go to the chart. To set a "2" when the machine is in turbo, and a "6" when it is in normal, you go to the 2nd row, and the 6th column. This gives you the values "3A, 2B, 1C, 3D, 2E, 1F, and 3G". The letters correspond to the hubs, and the numbers correspond to the positions. To make this clearer, I'll use coordinates of the matrix to explain. Let's say (0,0) is the top left corner, and (15,4) is the bottom right corner. The 'A' for the top half is at (2,1) and the 3 is at (2,2), so the jumper would go across those two pins. The 'B' pin is at (4,2), and the nearest '2' is at (3,2), so the jumper would bridge those two connections. As far as the hundreth's place goes, you should not be needing it for a 286, so you might be able to just remove the jumpers in the top row. If you gave a more straight on picture that shows all the labels of the top row, we might be able to work it out, though.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 6 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always do the trial and error :p
Worked so far.
Anyway, this can help too:

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/led_speed_dis … eed_display.htm

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 7 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Simple example. If you want a digit to show '1' in deturbo and '7' in turbo, segments A and B need to be connected to 3 (vertical jumpers) and segment F needs to be connected to 2 (as only segment F will change). Everything else would be disconnected. If you want 7 in deturbo, connect segment F to 1.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 10, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Simple example. If you want a digit to show '1' in deturbo and '7' in turbo, segments A and B need to be connected to 3 (vertical jumpers) and segment F needs to be connected to 2 (as only segment F will change). Everything else would be disconnected. If you want 7 in deturbo, connect segment F to 1.

... F isn't used in creating a 1 or a 7

you'd connect A to 2, B to 3, and C to 3.

The letters correspond to the segments of the LED segmented display.
If the number is a 1, then the segment is only on in the normal speed setting.
If the number is a 2, then the segment is only on in the turbo speed setting.
If the number is a 3, then the segment is always on.
If the segment is not used, the jumper is removed.

7seg_pinouts-202x300.gif

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green