VOGONS

First post, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a DEC Starion 942 that I've been working on. It boots fine every time, unless you try to reboot from the OS. It just hangs at the point you'd usually see "Starting Windows 95..." or similar, without displaying that message. Tapping the reset switch gets it to boot again.

I thought it might be related to the RTC being dead, but I just replaced it with a working one, and the behavior didn't change. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 13, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried logging the boot and then reading the boot log? If you press 'F5' (I think) like you would to enter safe mode, it's an option in the list.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 3 of 13, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I understand now. That's odd, maybe there's something wrong with the power management circuitry on the motherboard. Does it do the same thing when you "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" from dos?

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 4 of 13, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I used a DOS boot floppy and rebooted it rebooted successfully, but sat for about 30 seconds at “Starting MS-DOS”.

EDIT: I let a Windows reboot sit where I thought it crashed for a while and eventually got “Operating system not found”.

Reply 5 of 13, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound like a dying hard drive. If you can, put it into another computer and scan it with HDD Regenerator, to check if it has bad sectors or delayed tracks. Something tells me that's the culprit.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 7 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To get the boot menu, keep pressing F8 *before* the system begins to boot. DOS will detect the keypress and give you options, before Windows even gets out of the barn.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 13, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sunoo wrote:

I'll give that a shot shortly, but it's a new drive with a SATA-IDE adapter.

Do you have a picture of that adapter? I have a bad feeling about it.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 9 of 13, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
looking4awayout wrote:

Do you have a picture of that adapter? I have a bad feeling about it.

It's this one: http://ableconn.com/products_2.php?gid=66

I got it specifically it had the Marvell chip that people were saying was the best.

Reply 10 of 13, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, your comment gave me an idea to test. I dug out the semi-working IDE drive that came with the machine and installed that again. With that in place, it reboots perfectly.

Not sure where to go from here though. Can anyone recommend a SATA-IDE adapter that works better?

Reply 11 of 13, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back when I used a SATA to IDE adapter on my computer, I used a Delock one, it had a Marvell chipset and worked perfectly. Later I just switched to a SATA controller card, to avoid compatibility issues. I'd recommend you the Delock based on personal experience, your adapter seems to be a bit picky about your system (if it has a Marvell chipset, it might even have the dreaded SunPlusIT one, I've seen many of those falsely claiming they were Marvell based while they weren't in reality).

Now I don't remember which SATA controller supports Windows 95 (perhaps the Promise SATA150 TX2?), but there's one called the XFX Revo 64 that doesn't require any driver to work, as it masks itself as an IDE controller and runs basically transparent to the OS, from what I heard.

Reply 12 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sunoo wrote:

Okay, your comment gave me an idea to test. I dug out the semi-working IDE drive that came with the machine and installed that again. With that in place, it reboots perfectly.

Not sure where to go from here though. Can anyone recommend a SATA-IDE adapter that works better?

Trial & error from what I understand - bless old hardware. On Aliexpress, you can get several models quite cheaply - just try a few to see which work. I mean, you only need to install Windows once and then just swap the thing out. Having one that requires no drivers is of course ideal because that should *technically* work on every system but even then ...

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 13 of 13, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I picked up a second IDE-SATA adapter, and also did some testing.

The only drives that reboot correctly are the 1.2gb IDE drive it came with and a 3gb IDE drive I happened to have. Every other drive I've tried (the smallest being 40gb), SATA with either adapter or IDE, does not reboot. So it appears to be related to disk size and not anything else?