VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old socket7 motherboard that i have not tested yet because i need some specific capacitors first. It has about 3 capacitors that need to be replaced one already exploted on the bottom- But next to those 3 caps there is a mosfet, a fairchild FDB6030L mosfet.

When i looked at the board i noticed that the green PCB changed its color a little bit near the mosfet, what should be green..has more of a brown like tint color on the pcb.

Mosfets can even operate at a very high temperature, but is it normal to reach a temperature where it actually changes the color of the pcb?

I have seen other motherboards that are working and the mosfet gets extremely hot.
and i have seen on videocards from the TNT2 era, where the pcb is blue or yellow, and on the back of the card the pcb changed its color because of heat where the mosftet is located in the front

is there a rule for replacing a mosfet with a different one on a motherboard? (for example capacitors should be same UF and greater voltage) i was looking around another FDB6030L but cant find it on my local shops.

Reply 3 of 5, by p166s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that is certainly heat damage. It might be contributing to the failure of the surrounding capacitors as it is heating up the board quite a bit.

You can try to mitigate this by putting a small heatsink on the MOSFET like this one:
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Produc … =9SIV0KK7CM0818

And stick it on with some thermal adhesive tape like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Akasa-ak-tt12-80-Therm … e/dp/B001GIM9V8

Reply 4 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Discoloration of the PCB around power transistors is quite normal to see in my experience. It certainly has contributed to the failure of the capacitors too. Using a modern part with lower RDSon, VGS and gate capacitance will result in (much) less heating if you'd like to fix this. There are no special requirements when one is gonna replace the part.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 5, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have the same problem with a motherboard but on mine the mosfet is cracked, and the pcb is way darker.
Tiido i will send you a private message perhaps you can guide me, i have zero knowledge on mosfet